• Four

"Ella, for God's sake, would you check your damn phone?" Ava cried, looking up from her history book.

She had come over Monday night to study with me, and gorge out on takeout food and pop.

I sighed, picking it up. Luke had been texting me since Saturday evening, but I hadn't answered him at all, too scared from Ava's warning.

He's in a gang.

From: Luke
-hey sweetheart xx
-hello?

From: Luke
-are you there? x

From: Luke
-hellooo?
-you're making me nervous

From: Luke
-answer me

From: Luke
-what the fuck?
-where are you?

From: Luke
-if you don't answer me in five minutes I'm coming over

From: Luke
-I'm on my way

"Who is it?" Ava asked. "Hot date?"

I shook my head. "It's Luke. He's coming over."

As soon as the words left my lips, the doorbell rang. Ava looked at me, her eyes wide.

"Be careful, El. Remember what I told you," she said as I walked out of my bedroom.

How could I forget?

The doorbell rang twice more before I even got downstairs, followed by loud knocks on the front door.

"I'm coming! Jesus!"

I opened the door, to find Luke, dressed in basketball shorts and a t-shirt, his hand poised to knock again.

"Oh, thank God." He said, smiling. Immediately, it turned to a frown. "Why the hell haven't you been answering my texts?! I've texted you since Saturday night! I thought something happened to you!"

His blue eyes turned darker as he continued to yell at me. I stepped toward him, putting a hand on his chest.

"Luke, calm down."

He ran a hand through his hair, frowning. "Why weren't you answering me?"

I sighed, stepping back. "I, uh, I talked to Ava. She told me about you. You're in a gang?"

Luke closed his eyes, his forehead creasing. "It's not like that, sweetheart, believe me."

"Than what is it like? Just a group of guys going around doing gang activities?" I asked.

"It's like a group of guys who are a gang protecting someone who pays them damn good money to do it. Occasionally, yeah, they ask me to do a job. A drug errand here, scaring somebody there. Nothing big."

"Nothing big?! Luke, you're delivering drugs for a gang!"

He grimaced. "Can I come inside? I don't want the whole damn town hearing."

I looked at him for a moment before stepping to the side so he could come in. He turned to me, putting his large hands on my shoulder. "I'm ok, Ella. It's nothing too heavy. Some weed, some coke here and there. And besides, I'm always careful."

I stepped back, brushing his hands away. "Luke, I don't give a fuck. I don't mess around anywhere near drugs, no matter what the hell they are."

Luke rolled his eyes. "Ella,"

"Luke, shut up! I don't want to hear your excuses. I told you I don't want to be around drugs!"

He flinched, his eyes narrowing. "Fine. But next time, at least text me so I know you're alive. Bye."