The Poisoned Chalice

Merlynn and Morris had spent all week preparing for the arrival of the King from Mercia and the treaty signing that would be taking place within the next few hours. Today Arthur was expected to greet the King and his company and welcome them into Camelot by his father's side. Merlynn and Morris were expected to be there as well, to inflate Uther's ego and show off Camelot's prosperity.

The two companies met in the middle of the throne room and Uther welcomed The King and his company. "Camelot welcomes you, Lord Bayard of Mercia. The treaty we sign today marks an end to war and a beginning to a new friendship between our people." Uther offered Lord Bayard his hand, which the latter took. Clapping started from the two companies as they celebrated impending peace between the two lands. After the receiving ceremony, Merlynn was put to work making sure everything was comfortable with their guests. She was lugging laundry around when she ran into Giaus.

"Why do I always get landed with the donkey work?"

"You're a servant, Merlynn; it's what you do." Gaius said, chuckling a little.

"My arms'll be a foot longer by the time I get this lot inside."

"It's character-building. As the old proverb says, hard work breeds..." Merlynn smiled triumphantly a little as Gaius tried to find a way to finish the 'old proverb' "A harder soul."

"There is no way that's a proverb. You just made that up."

"I didn't."

Their banter was cut off when one of the maids from Mercia tripped over something and dropped everything she was carrying. "Sorry."

"That's alright." Merlynn responded, getting down to help her gather her things.

"Excuse me."

"Let me give you a hand with that."

When they were done gathering the maid's things, they stood up and Merlynn introduced herself. "I'm Merlynn." She stuck her hand out for the other girl.

"Kara." She took Merlynn's hand. "You're Arthur's servant. That must be such an honor."

"Oh, it's not like that. Morris is Arthur's servant, I just help with training or..." Merlynn faltered at the confused look Kara was giving her. "Just that at home we all needed to know how to use a sword and Morris never grew up with that." Merlynn felt the embarrassment flush on her cheeks and she fumbled trying to pick up her load of laundry. "So it was an easy position to fill. I just help out during big events when Morris is busy dealing with Arthur. I'm not-" Merlynn cleared her throat, flustered by the implication.

"Well, thank you Merlynn. I look forward to working with you the next few days."

"Oh, yeah. Uh, no problem."

"It was nice meeting you." Kara took off and left Merlynn a flushed mess.

Merlynn looked up and Gaius and noticed his smirk. "Don't" she warned him before she picked up the laundry and walked away. Merlynn got done with her current chores and went to check in with Morris. When she arrived at Arthur's chambers, she felt the heat flow back into her cheeks remembering the earlier conversation. She was relieved when Morris was the only one in the room.

He watched her walk in and noticed the faint color in her cheeks. "What's wrong?" Merlynn explained the conversation she just had with Kara. "Oh."

"Do people really think that?" Merlynn turned to Morris and asked. "You know most of the other servants here better than I do."

"Honestly most of them did. Until a couple of them saw one of your training sessions. Now only half of them do." Morris forced a small laugh.

"Really?" Merlynn was mortified.