The Dragon's Call

WARNING: Brief depictions of suggested sexual and domestic violence in this chapter

Merlynn arrived at the citadel of Camelot after a couple day's journey. She entered the lower town and was shocked at how lively the citizens of Camelot compared to the citizens who lived in the lower town in Essetir. She knew Gauis lived in the castle as he was the court physician, so she excitedly made her way through what appeared to be the marketplace towards the castle gates. As she made her way through gates and across the courtyard, she noticed a small crowd gathering around an executioner's block as Uther began to make a statement.

    "Let this serve as a lesson to all. This man, Thomas James Collins, is adjudged guilty of conspiring to use enchantments and magic. And pursuant to the laws of Camelot, I, Uther Pendragon, have decreed that such practices are banned on penalty of death. I pride myself as a fair and just king, but for the crime of sorcery, there is but one sentence I can pass." Merlynn looked over to see the accused man beheaded and cringed. Once the act was completed, Uther continued. "When I came to this land, this kingdom was mired in chaos, but with the people's help, magic was driven from the realm. So I declare a festival to celebrate 20 years since the great dragon was captured and Camelot freed from the evil of sorcery. Let the celebrations begin."

    At the end of his speech, a woman wailed. "There is only one evil in this land, and it is not magic. It is you with your hatred and your ignorance. You took my son! And I promise you, before these celebrations are over, you will share my tears. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. And a son for a son." Uther was shouting orders at the guards, but it was too late. The woman had already used magic to disappear, ensuring her escape.

    Merlynn hadn't realized she was crying until the ordeal was already over. She took a moment to recollect herself before she started moving again. She found two guards standing near a side entrance of the castle and decided to ask for directions. After thanking the men, she makes her way through the castle and up some stairs before reaching Gaius' chambers. Noticing the door is slightly ajar, she poked her head in.

"Hello?" she inquired softly before entering the room. Not seeing anyone she asks the question again before noticing a man looking for a book up on a thin balcony to the second story of the bookshelf.

"Gaius?" When there was no reply, she loudly cleared her throat. As the man turned to look at her, he broke through the railing and began to fall. Immediately Merlynn's magic kicked in. She slowed Gaius' fall down almost to a stop and moved his bed over to break his fall all within a couple of seconds before he started picking up speed again.

Once he had finished his fall, Gaius took a few seconds to recover before getting up. "I -. What did you just do?"

"Um-"

"Tell me!"

Merlynn faltered a bit as she tried to come up with something to say. "Well I- I have no idea what happened."

"If anyone had seen that-"

"No, that was- that was nothing to do with me. That-"

"I know what it was. I just want to know where you learned how to do it." Things between Merlynn and Gaius were becoming more intense and Merlynn felt the panic rising to her chest.

"Nowhere."

"How is it you know magic?"

"I don't!"

After her hard denial, Gaius started to soften towards her. "Where did you study?" When she didn't reply, he shouted. "Answer me!"

This sent Merlynn into a stuttering mess while she tried to formulate her words. "I- I- I've never studied magic or been taught."