Chapter 14

#KILLME2

By: theinkslingerr

Chapter 14

The dark, looming figure let out a scream. It was high-pitched.

In the rush to rub their eyes, they knocked off a dark baseball cap and crumpled to the ground; writhing in agony.

My finger stayed on the pepper spray's release even after Finley shoved me behind him. I felt Ross at my back. He completed our little sandwich by placing both hands on my shoulders and peering over my head anxiously. I would've laughed, but I was too busy trying not to hyperventilate.

Finley stepped forward and crouched down, shining his flashlight on the screaming assailant who happened to be a woman. When dark hair fell away from her face, I ground my teeth and almost pepper sprayed her again.

Because squinting up at us through red-rimmed eyes was my ex-best friend.

"Finley said to use soap," I reminded Maya.

After realizing who she was, we'd taken her to the bathroom by Dr. Tifft's office. For a second, the boys considered going to install the trojan while Maya got the pepper spray out of her eyes, but we doubled down on not splitting up. Now they were waiting outside the bathroom door twiddling their thumbs.

Man plans, and God laughs. It was starting to be the story of my life. I couldn't believe a Maya-shaped wrench had been thrown into our careful plans.

"It feels like someone flambéed my eyeballs." She was bent over a sink, scrubbing her face. "Why would I add soap?"

"No idea. You're the one who got an A in chemistry. And was always willing to take everything Finley said as gospel."

She gripped the edges of the sink. "Pepper spray's oil-based, so I guess soap would break it down. Better yet, got any of that Johnson and Johnson's No More Tears stuff in your backpack?"

I didn't, but even if I did I wouldn't give her any.

"What're you doing here, Maya?"

She got a tiny dollop of soap from the dispenser and started rubbing it into her eyes, flinching and groaning as it took effect. Then she splashed more water on her face and blinked rapidly at my reflection in the mirror. The area around her eyes were a stark red.

"I heard you, Finley, and Ross talking at the diner a few days ago."

"What?" I pushed off the bathroom stall I'd been leaning against. "You weren't there..."

Except, she was. And I should've realized that after Mrs. Osman's not-so-subtle look over my shoulder and change in demeanor.

"I was in the back when you guys came in, and had to play the most intense game of charades with my mom, so she wouldn't tell you I was working."

It felt like another betrayal. "Guess I know why she sat us at that booth. Did you have fun spying on us through the window in the swinging door?"

"Come on. It looked like the only clean booth," Maya pointed out. "She doesn't know what happened. She thinks you're just being...sensitive right now, because of Liam."

"Then maybe I should tell her the truth. I've still got the videos and texts on my phone. And hey, why stop there? Why not tell her and your dad about yearbook? The only reason they think you can't pull more shifts at the diner is because you've scammed them into thinking you're a good girl who's joined a study group."