Chapter nine A Unexpected Guest

Chapter nine

A Unexpected Guest

“You seem awfully happy tonight,” said my mother as we started to clear off the dinner table.

With a smile, I shrugged my shoulders and carried my plate to the sink. 

“It’s all that fresh air.” My father pulled me to his side. “It does stuff to ya,” he teased, while messing up my hair. 

“Right dad.” Shaking my head, I turned for the stairs and went up to my room. 

After closing the door, I threw myself on the bed and let out a loud sigh. It was hard to believe it had already been a month since I started going to the campground. Even harder to believe, I actually was excited to go now. I sat up, thinking about going to the hot pools again with Titus on Monday. I already had my bag packed for it, because this time I was going to be prepared. 

I grabbed my laptop from my desk and flipped it open, deciding to watch some of my favorite youtube videos until I fell asleep.

***

I opened my eyes to a tapping on my window. Disoriented, I looked around my darkened room, and figured my mother had turned off the light for me. Hearing the knocking again, I tossed the blanket that had been laid over me to the side and staggered to the window. After opening it, I stuck my head out and looked around. No one was there. Figuring it must had been my imagination, I pulled my head back inside and reached up to shut the window.

“Hey.” Titus popped out of the darkness. 

I toppled onto the floor and stared wide-eyed up at him as he crawled inside.

“You scared me half to death,” I whispered, in an angry voice as he helped me up.

“Sorry, I had to make sure it was your room.”

I shook my head at him and peered outside. There was a slanted roof below my window, but it didn’t explain how he had gotten on it in the first place. “How’d you get up here?”

“It wasn’t too hard,” he said with a smile as he laid across my bed.

“Okay,” I replied unsure, while sitting down by his feet. “How’d you find me? Don’t tell me you been peeking into all my neighbors’ houses.”

He chuckled softly. “No, I saw you dad’s truck parked out front.”

“That stupid truck keeps giving me away.”

“Yep.” Titus sat up and glanced around. “So this is your room. It’s nice.” He stood and began looking around at my things. 

“It’s kind of boring.” I hurried and searched for anything that I rather not have lying around and was very thankful that my mother had decided to do laundry that day.

“What’s in here?” He opened the door to my closet and disappeared inside.

“Nothing.” I chased after him.

Titus was already going through the box stored on the top shelf by the time I got there.

“I wonder what’s in here.” He shook it next to his ear.

“Like I said nothing.” I tried to take it from him, but he held it out of my reach. 

“If it’s nothing, than you won’t mind me taking a look.” His regular grin appeared on his face as he grabbed another boxes and made his way towards the bed.