Chapter 3

“We’re leaving,” the blonde CEO abruptly chokes out. “We’re leaving right now,” Jinsol says, shoving breadsticks into her purse.

“Hey, hey,” Jungeun grabs her wife’s hand to stop her, and she can’t help but feel the impending doom as well. But for Choerry’s sake, she’s going to force her through it. “Jinsol.” Her wife stops. “You said you wouldn’t leave.”

Jinsol’s fear skyrockets as she sees the gleaming Mercedes doors slowly open upward. “This is different,” she pleads, with the urgency of escaping a ticking time bomb.

“Baby. We’re staying right here.”

Jinsol manages to stay put, but it doesn’t stop the urge she gets to throw herself off a bridge when she sees Sooyoung in her long dark trench coat step out of the car. She links arms with Jiwoo, and they smile at each other sweetly before walking towards the entrance of the restaurant.

“As the Romans once said, ‘Well it’s over.’”

“Sol.” The blonde is anxiously and aggressively bouncing her leg under the table, head turning to stare at the door. “Remember when...” Jungeun racks her brain for something, any anecdote to calm her down “When we were outside my mom’s house? To tell her that we were engaged?”

Jinsol pauses and looks back at Jungeun, distracted and comforted by her thumb rubbing circles on the back of her palm. She nods with a tiny gulp.

“I couldn’t even ring the doorbell. Remember? She hadn’t spoken to me in more than a year.”

“You were walking away. Back to the car,” Jinsol recalls, softening her expression.

“Yes. But remember what you said to me? To get me to stay?” Jungeun asks, smiling at the way Jinsol is loosening as she illustrates the memory, her hand relaxing in Jungeun’s own.

“...I said,” Jinsol stifles a laugh. “Oh gosh, what did I say again,”

“You said... ‘Nothing is impossible unless you can’t do it.’”

Jinsol chuckles at her own stupidity. “That’s the one.” And just like that, a room filled to capacity with mothers feels as though they’re the only two in it.

“You told me that stupid fucking quote,” Jungeun explains playfully, “And it made absolutely no sense, but it got me through that dinner. So if I could take my mother, you can handle a grown woman who has a secret Instagram for posting work-out sayings.”

It takes a few moments for the connection to be made in Jinsol’s brain. Then, she’s choking from trying to gasp and laugh at the same time. “She what?”

“Yes. She posts aggressively douchey things like ‘You don’t get the ass you want by sitting on it.’” The CEO giggles lowly at the new embarrassing information. “Jiwoo showed me.” (Jungeun is pretty sure Jiwoo wasn’t supposed to show anyone in the first place.)

Irene calls out that the meeting is about to begin, and Jungeun, with a warm smile, mouths to her It’s gonna be fine . Jinsol takes one last look of adoration at her beautiful wife, squeezes her hand, and looks to the front of the room as the lights begin to dim.

Jinsol takes a deep breath, and tries to concentrate on Irene’s welcome speech to the parents. She’s doing fine, until she hears Jiwoo’s familiar voice break through the double doors. “HELLO?!”