Part 2

Kirk and Leonard made their way down a set of stairs as they exited a building. Kirk briefly looked around then asked, "have you seen Little Pike? She seems to be avoiding me."

"I wouldn't be surprised if she avoided you. You've been trying to sleep with her since the moment you met her. And if you don't get over your little crush on her, she's going to avoid me too," Leonard retorted.

"So, she is avoiding me," Kirk exclaimed.

Leonard stopped walking and turned to face his friend. "Jim, how many times does the poor girl have to turn you down until it gets through your head?"

Kirk only smiled which confused Leonard, "why are you so happy?"

"I'm taking the test again and she promised me a date if I won," Kirk said as he wiggled his brows.

With wide eyes, Leonard yelled, "you've gotta be kidding me?"

"Yeah, tomorrow morning and I want you there."

"You know, I've got better things to do then watch you embarrass yourself for a third time. I'm a doctor, Jim. I'm busy."

"Bones, does it ever bother you that no one has ever past the test?"

"Jim, it's the Kobayashi Maru. No one passes the test. No one goes back for seconds, let alone thirds," Leonard panned.

"Well, if you see Y/n, could you ask her to come.," Kirk said as he tapped his friend's shoulder. "I gotta go study," then he turned around and left.

"Study my ass," Leonard mumbled to himself as he waved him off. He then shouted, "she only said that because she knows you'll fail."

~

You woke up to the sound of your alarm. You reached over to turn it off, but only managed to push it further away from you. You opened your eyes slowly and sat up with a groan. You glanced over to your clock. "Shit!"

You rolled out of bed and grabbed your uniform that was laid on your chair. You erratically threw your shirt towards your bed and changed into your uniform. You quickly fixed your hair then started putting your boots on as you stumbled to your door.

You stopped to glance around if you were missing anything. You gave yourself a quick nod then spun around and ran out of your apartment.

Once you arrived at the hall you saw Nyota waiting for you near the entrance. She made her way towards you and quickly grabbed your arm as she led you into the building. "Where were you? The conference is about to start," she asked.

"Sorry, I slept in," you sighed.

"It's the afternoon."

You nodded, "I know. Your point?"

Nyota shook her head as she chucked.

You and Nyota got to your seats and sat down.

Once everyone had taken their seats, a bell was rung to which Admiral Barnett announced, "this session has been called to solve a troubling matter. James T. Kirk, step forward. Cadet Kirk, evidence has been submitted to this council, suggesting that you violated the ethical code of conduct pursuant to Regulation 17.43 of the Starfleet code."

As Kirk made his way down to the podium. Nyota leaned towards you and whispered, "you know he looked like a beaten puppy when you didn't show up to his test. And he's been asking about you, saying that you've been avoiding him?"

You hummed.

"Well, have you," she questioned.

You shrugged, "maybe a little."

You watched as Nyota opened her mouth to speak, but closed it as she saw her boyfriend rose from his chair and fixed his clothes.

"Step forward please," the Admiral called. He made his way towards the front. "This is Commander Spock. He is one of our most distinguished graduates. He's programmed the Kobayashi Maru exam for the last four years." The Admiral looked at Spock, "Commander?"

"Cadet Kirk, you've somehow managed to install and activate a subroutine to the programming code thereby changing the conditions of the test."

"Your point being?" Kirk asked.

"In academic vernacular, you cheated." The admiral said

"Let me ask you something," Kirk said then said to himself, "I think we all know the answer to." Kirk looked to Spock as he said, "the test itself is cheat, isn't it? I mean you programmed it to be unwinnable."

"Your argument concludes the possibility of a no-win scenario," Spock stated.

Kirk retorted, "I don't believe in no-win scenarios."

"Then not only did you violate the rules you also failed to understand the principal lesson."

"Please enlighten me"

"You of all people should know Cadet Kirk, a captain cannot cheat death," the Vulcan remarked.

"That was a low blow," you scoffed to Nyota.

Kirk looked down as he quoted, "I of all people."

"Your father, Lieutenant George Kirk, assumed command of his vessel before being killed in action, did he not," Spock carried on.

"I don't think you like the fact that I beat your test."

Spock added, "further more, you have failed to divine the purpose of the test."

"Enlighten me again."

"The purpose is to experience fear. Fear in the face of certain death. To accept that fear and maintain control of one's self and one's crew. This is a quality expected in every Starfleet Captain." The Vulcan explained.

You watched as an officer approached the Admiral and gave him something to which the Admiral announced, "We've received a distress call from Vulcan without a primary fleet engaged in the Laurentian system. I hereby order all cadets to report to hanger 1 immediately. Dismissed." Everyone stood up from their seats and made their way to the exit.

~

After you were assigned to your station, you made your way towards your shuttle. You stopped as you saw Leonard drag Kirk away. You tilted your head slightly. As you started to make your way towards them, Nyota stepped in front of you.

"Oh honey, you are so out of it today. The Enterprise shuttles are that way," she said as she pointed behind you.

You sighed as you turned on your heels and walked with Nyota towards a shuttle. You nudged her side as you said with a smile, "I thought I heard you were assigned to the Farragut?

"I don't know what you're talking about," she said then entered the shuttle.

You laughed as you gave one last look behind where you last saw the two men then stepped into the shuttle.