Chapter 6

The Training Center had a tower designed specially for the tributes and their teams. Each district had a floor and getting there was simple - get in the elevator and press the number for the district you want and it will take you to their floor.

Dean had only been in an elevator twice before. One to receive a medal after the death of his mother and another yesterday where he said his goodbyes to his friends and family. The walls of the elevator were made of crystal, which seemed annoyingly extravagant for Dean. Becky was babbling about sponsors and such, but Dean wasn’t paying much attention and had a grim expression for most of the way through the Training Center. An almost child-like smile grew on his face however as they entered their room. Dean headed to his quarters which were bigger than his whole house back in district 12. He took a shower, marveling at the amount of options it gave for water temperatures, pressure, and others he wasn’t even sure the function of. Once out of the shower and dry, he chose an outfit from the overstocked closet - a plaid shirt and a pair of jeans.

Becky soon called Dean out for dinner, which Dean was very thankful for. He was starving. As Dean and Becky entered the room he noticed that not only were Castiel and Bobby at the table, but Charlie and a few other stylists seemed to be joining them. When ordering drinks Dean requested a beer, which was returned with a glare from Becky. Instead they were all given a wine, which Dean wasn’t fond of. He focused on his food as small talk was started. He was served a salad and some sort of soup which he scoffed at.

“I don’t eat rabbit food,” he mumbled, for which he received another glare from Becky. Salad was something his brother ate occasionally, but never him. He absentmindedly moved the lettuce around with his fork until the salad bowls were taken away and a roast was served.

After dinner they joined in the sitting room to watch the broadcast of the open ceremonies and Dean had to admit, he as Castiel looked pretty good as they rode in their chariot, engulfed in flame. Dean could see himself on the screen holding Castiel’s hand, but hoped it’s subtle enough that no one else noticed. He looks around the room briefly to find Charlie staring at him. She saw the hand holding. She winks and he turns away, slightly angered. Enough of this, it was ridiculous. He was nice to Castiel once, but he told himself it stops there. This boy was going to murder or be murdered the second they entered that arena.

“Now tomorrow is the first training session, so why don’t you two idgits get some sleep so us grown ups can talk,” Bobby said. Castiel and Dean walk down the hallway and turn into their separate rooms. Dean closed the door behind him and flopped onto his more than comfy bed. He buried himself in his pillows and tried to sleep, but sleep wouldn’t come. Eventually he made his way through the hallway until he came to the balcony overlooking the capital. He opened the door and to his surprise, Castiel was already out there.

. Dean started to turn away but Castiel had already seen him “Hello, Dean.” Dean sighed and joined Castiel on the balcony.

“Couldn’t sleep?”

“No.” They sat in silence for a bit, listening to the sounds of the city.

“I wish I could go back home,” Castiel said after a while.

“You and me both, buddy.”

“What do you think district 12 is doing right now? What do you think your family is up to?”

Dean pictured his dad and brother. “My dad is probably drunk. And Sammy is probably having to take care of him.” Dean saw Castiel’s eyes turn sad as Dean spoke of his father and averted his sympathy gaze. “What about you?”

“My parents probably don’t care that I’m gone. I have other brothers and sisters. They don’t care about me. I was their least favourite child anyway.” Castiel looks out on the city with his blue eyes.

“Well, I should probably head back to my room. Goodnight, Castiel.” Dean nodded at Castiel and left the balcony.