Chapter 5

Dean cringed as the strange razor ran along his jawline. “Sorry!” the woman chimed with her strange capitol accent. “But we’ve got to get you shaved!” Dean watched as the woman with golden eyebrows shaved the stubble from his chin, wondering why they talked in such high pitches and why everything they said seemed to go up at the end as if they were always asking questions.

“All done!” the woman piped with a smile and set the razor down on a metal table. Dean lifted his hand and ran it along his now smooth face.

Dean had been in the Remake Center for more than an hour and still had yet to mean his stylist. Apparently his stylist didn’t want to meet him until the other members have cleaned him up, which included not only the shave but a head to toe body scrub that not only eliminated all the dirt but at least three layers of skin, leaving Dean feeling raw, a feeling which he did not like. But he kept the deal with Bobby and didn’t protest to anything.

“You’re doing well,” another said. “I just hate the ones who whine.” The others agreed. Dean was removed from the table and asked to remove the thin robe they had given him and he stood there, completely naked, as they observed their work.

“Excellent! Now he looks more like a human,” they all laughed and Dean forced himself to smile and thank them for their work.

“Oh, this is nothing, dear. By the time Charlie is done with you you will be so handsome!” The one with gold eyebrows said as he bopped Dean on the nose. It took all Dean had to keep the smile on his lips. “Let’s call in Charlie!” Dean wiped the smile off his face as soon as they left the room, but he found it hard to absolutely hate them. They were just idiots who were trying to help. Dean resisted the urge to put his robes on, assuming his stylist would just ask him to remove them again. Instead he ran his hands through his clipped and styled hair and across his smooth jaw line.

The door reopened and a young woman who must have been Charlie entered. Dean was surprised by her lack of extravagance. She seemed oddly plain and calm compared to the others that inhabited the capitol.  Her hair was a fiery red, but it seemed natural.

“Hey, Dean. I’m your stylist, Charlie,” she said in a friendly voice that seemed to lacked that capital trill that most voices here had.

“Hey,” Dean greeted cautiously.

“Just give me a moment, k?” She began to circle around Dean, taking in every inch of his body. Dean distracted himself by staring off at the white walls around him. It made Dean slightly uncomfortable, which usually lead to some cocky remark made, which he figured wouldn’t help him at the moment. So he tried to stay quiet and ignore the awkwardness of it all.

“You’re new, aren’t you?” Dean said hesitantly.

“Yep, first year doing this.”

“And that’s why you’re stuck with district twelve,” Dean assumed.

“No, I asked for this district,” she stated without further explanation. “Why don’t you put your robes back on and we’ll have a chat.” Charlie led Dean into a sitting room and the two of them sat down on lush red chairs. In between them was a small table. Charlie pressed a button and the table split open and out rose two fresh burgers. Dean’s eyes lit up hungrily.

“You looked like the burger type guy,” she commented. She turned the plate around to reveal a piece of pie and smiled. Dean’s mouth began to water happily, but still he wondered what it must be like to live where food was available at the touch of a button, and suddenly the food seemed a little less appetizing.

“We must seem despicable to you,” Charlie said, as if she had read his mind.

“You are, but I can’t resist this burger,” Dean picked it up hungrily.