Chapter 8

"Michael, I can't wake my parents," he argued.

"We can go somewhere. Somewhere private where no one has to see us. No one has to know, Ashton. We just need to talk." He hesitated. He sighed. He nodded.

"Okay, fine," he said. "I'll meet you by the garage." I nodded and he closed the window. I walked around through the backyard to the garage. I had to wait a few minutes before Ashton slipped out the side door and closed it softly.

"Come on," I whispered, grabbing his hand and leading him through the dimly lit street.

"Where are we going?" he whisper-yelled.

"Just wait. I know a place." We walked through the streets, avoiding well-lit areas in case someone saw us. We stopped outside the old gas station. It'd been abandoned for awhile now, and no one really came out here. It was too close to the public eye for teenagers to come to do drugs and nobody paid too close attention the dilapidated old building.

"Why are we here?" Ashton whispered.

"I come here sometimes to think. Nobody will bother us here, I promise. Let's go." I led him around the back of the building. I wiggled the jammed door and it creaked open slowly.

"I don't know about this, Michael," Ashton said nervously.

"Trust me," I said, gripping his hand tighter. He bit his lower lip and slightly furrowed his eyebrows. "Ash, you can trust me. It's safe." He took a deep breath and nodded, following me inside. We walked into the back room, out of view from any passerby.

"So what do you need to talk to me about so badly you had to drag me here in the middle of the night?" he asked, sitting in one of the spin chairs at the desk. He propped his feet up on the desk and looked at me. I sat cross-legged on top of the desk, right next to his feet.

"You need to leave Emma, Ashton. She's not good for you. She shouldn't abuse you. She's supposed to love you and care for you. Emma isn't capable of that, Ashton." He sighed.

"I know. I've been thinking about it a lot. I know you're right. I just- I can't. She'll kill me if I try to leave her, Michael."

I placed a hand on his leg. "I'll protect you."

Sitting there in the dimly lit room, barely able to see as we sat across from each other, it felt like we were seeing each other for the first time. Like we were really seeing each other. Ashton put his feet back on the floor and leaned forward. I held my breath as he stood up and stepped closer to me. My heart was pounding in my ears. My stomach was twisting in knots. He wrapped his arms around me and hugged me tightly, burrowing his head in my neck. I hugged him back, never wanting to let go. He started sniffling and my shirt soaked up his tears as they fell gently from his eyes.

We stood like that for several moments, me holding him while he cried softly. I wished we could've stayed there forever. But we couldn't. All too soon, he was pulling away and wiping his eyes. I couldn't help but look at his soft lips and wish he would kiss me. But I knew he wouldn't. Not yet. I just waited for him to be ready, and then I walked him home. He slipped back through the side door and I found myself waiting at his bedroom window, hoping he would look at me one last time before I left.

I saw the curtains rustle and move slightly to the side, Ashton's figuring standing at the window. I smiled up at him and waved before walking off, making my trek back to Luke's before he woke up and noticed I was gone. The whole time, I could only think of Ashton. He was so vulnerable that night. I'd never seen that side of him before. I wasn't sure I liked it very much.

I just wished there were more I could do for him.