Michael Clifford

The rain drenched my umbrella and the sky was becoming overcast. I couldn't see four inches ahead of me. The headlights of cars rushed past opened my eyesight an inch for a second before it rolled down the road.

My dad was supposed to pick me up half an hour ago. He was supposed to pick me up before this crazy monsoon starting. I clicked the home button on my phone like mad praying that a tiny morsel of battery would revive from it. But nothing. My phone was dead. I was standing on a street corner with a half broken umbrella practically taking a shower. It was turning dark. "Great way to end the day" I thought sarcastically.

I leant against the wall and closed my eyes for a second. Then a car rolled up and honked. "Finally he is here" I sighed in relief. I looked at the car ahead but it wasnt my dad's. His red hair illuminated in the streetlight.

"Well looky here. Sadie standing in the rain." Sitting in the drivers seat was Michael Clifford, my neighbour. I don't know much about Michael. He is quite mysterious even though our families are best friends. All I see of him is him trimming the hedges in his garden on some Sundays. Sometimes when we have street parties in the summer he'd come sit at the end of the table but then go back inside after a while.

"Hello Michael" I tried to say it with a smile but it was too cold to even try. "What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Me? That's what I should be asking you. What are you doing here in the dead of the night?" Michael leant out the window and scanned me with his eyes up and down.

"I'm waiting for my dad to pick me up" I shrugged. "He is late."
"Ol Mr Late Lucas." He unlocked his car. "Come on! I'll take you home"

"You're too kind, Michael. It's fine. I will wait" I insisted.

"You want to just wait out in the rain?" He raised his eyebrow. I gave in, hopped into the passengers seat next to him and he drove off. I felt all sticky and slimy on his leather seat. The streetlights illuminated Michaels face everytime we drove past one.
"Sadie, you don't need to stare" he teased.

I turned my head away quickly, "I'm not,Michael."

The car was so quiet I could hear his heavy breathing. "And you don't need to call me Michael. I'm Mr. Mikey to you" he said in a low commanding voice as he drove up into his driveway. I felt obliged to call him Mr. Mikey from now on.

We both got out of the car and I thanked Michael for the ride. I started walking home until he hollered "Your parents aren't in." I looked at him confused. I pointed with his head at the dark house. "No lights" he shrugged.

"But lil Sadie loves the rain so have fun waiting in the rain" He began walking home. "Wait!" I shouted. I ran after him towards his front door. "Could I um come in please?" I pleaded. I really did not want to wait in the rain.

Michael unlocked the door and looked at me. "No." Michael spat and slammed the door in my face. I thought he was nice for that ride. I thought he'd let me in. I thought wrong. I needed shelter though.

So I did what I had to do. Sneak into his bedroom. I found an open window on the side of the house and balanced myself on the fence. All those gymnastics better pay off Sadie. I held onto the windowsill and hoisted myself up to attempt to get my foot in. I clambered into his bedroom plastered with dark posters and instruments in the floor.

My luck for him to walk in while I was halfway into the room. He looked at me astonished but also impressed. I was as red as his hair because he stood there shirtless with a towel around his broad shoulders. He laughed to his left and bit his red lips. He grabbed me by my wrist and pulled me onto his body. I was so close to his bare skin and he said "Let Mr. Mikey find you some dry clothes."

I was speechless. I just did as told and dressed into a plaid shirt and some 3/4 shorts. He gave me one of his bands to tie up my damp hair.
I sat on his bed next to him as he strummed on his acoustic. We were silent for a while. Breaking the silence I said "When do you think my parents will be back?" He shrugged. I charged my phone on the other side of the room so I was waiting for it to turn on.

Michael put his guitar down and sat up to look me straight in the eyes. "I don't know Sadie. How about we make the most of the time we have right now?"

He placed his hand on my collarbone never losing eye contact. "Come on say something Sadie. Talk to Mr. Mikey" Michael placed his warm lips on my shoulder blade and started kissing me. In the direction of my face. "Lets have some fun" Michael repeated over and over between kisses.