Chapter 32: Moon after Glory

She roamed the hospital's white hallway. She paced from one side to another, waiting from some nurse to come and tell her that Aubrey was ok. She ran her fingers through her hair and sighed hoarsely, cursing under her breath and battling with herself. What should she do? She let out a loud grunt as her eyes became wilder.

"This is my fault, my fault, my fault, my fault! My fucking fault! Why? Why? Why the fuck this happens to me? To her?! Why her and not me?!" she asked to herself while she tried to calm down, "Why this always happens to me?! Why? Why am I living this life? This fucked up life that always ends something that I truly love?! Oh, God! Oh, please! Let her live! Don't let her die! She can't die! I just ask you for this, please, let Adele live! Please!"

She felt the tears falling down and didn't waste any time in wiping them away. She clenched her fists when she felt some fury taking control of her body, she almost punched the wall, but they eyeing nurse made Emma hold herself. In that moment she understood that she pushed everybody away. She pushed Billy away for the justified reasons, she pushed Aubrey away when she was right, she pushed Paul away when he tried to say the truth. And worst of all, she discovered that she is the one who pushes herself away from them.

"What the fuck am I going to do?!" she mumbled while she sat on the hospital chair seating.

She sniffed and pressed her hands against her temple, thinking in who she should call. If she called Billy, she wouldn't be able to speak to him but, however, he always had the magic power to say the worst news in a calm way. Yeah, it was better to call Billy than to call Joe. Emma knew that the moment Joe will pick up the phone up, she wouldn't control herself and she'll start crying. Besides, she knew better than anyone else that she needed Billy with her, she needed to hear his voice again. She opted for calling him and dug out her phone from her pocket. She'd left her purse and everything but she always kept her phone in her pocket. She went to contacts and searched for Billy. She hesitated on pressing the call button, but lastly, she closed her eyes and pressed it. She slowly placed the phone near her left ear and awaited while she heard that it was ringing. Like always, it took four rings to make him pick up the phone. When he picked up the phone, Emma remained silent, while Billy did the same, although the low rock music that came from the bar's speakers and the thought of being there in the bar with him, gave her chills all over her spine. Emma could hear him exhaling the smoke as Billy could hear her prompt breathing. After a long pause, listening to the silence, Emma vaguely spoke.

".... Aubrey's been shot," Emma uttered weakly and full of poignant, "I'm in the hospital."

After Billy heard her words, he took a long drag and stood up from the bar's chair, glancing at Joe, who was talking to Paul and Bodie. She could feel the instant shock and silence that ran through his body. He exhaled the smoke and felt her heart sinking to the bottom, he closed his eyes and opened them quickly when he said, "We'll be right there."

He hung up but Emma stood motionless, her hand glued to the phone who was stick to her left ear. After a couple of seconds, she lowered her hand and sighed. Nothing worse could happen, nothing. The thing she worried the most was Joe's reaction. Joe could be extremely different from Billy, but still he was a Darley and a slight hothead. She assumed he was the worst of hotheads, the ones who contain all their fury and finally they explode enormously. Her right knee began to shake as she tapped her foot against the floor, sitting and rubbing her hands nervously. She ran her fingers slowly through her auburn hair and fought with the tears and her emotions. And after eleven minutes, she heard the Joe shouting and his cowboy boot's heels clicking against the marble white floor. She knew they were there and unhurriedly, she stood up from the chair. Her head slowly turned to her right, where she could see a desperate Joe running towards her and Billy jogging behind him.