Chapter 29: Burial

Luka POV

---
There are moments which mark your life. Moments when you realise nothing will ever be the same and time is divided into two parts- before this and after this. This was one of those moments. Time seemed to freeze as I stared down in shock at the deep black hand print on my shoulder. The skin around it was red a sore but I felt nothing...just empty. That's the only way I could describe how I felt right now. Numb. No emotion, no thoughts, nothing.

Slowly I reached out with a finger and swept it over the marked skin. I yelped quietly as my entire body spasmed with pain. I quickly pulled my shirt back up, unable to look at it any more. Then the emptiness left me and I was hit with so many thoughts and emotions, it felt like a brick wall had just slammed into me.

Fear, terror, anger, sadness, happiness....

My life had never been good, I was always somehow on the out side, disconnected from everyone else. It may not be a quick death, but at least in the end it'll be over. I sighed and lent against the throne. I winced as the mark scraped against the rough rocky surface. I decided I'd just sleep on my stomach, to save myself the pain. But I had to wait for sleep, and as I did my mind wondered, collecting everything I knew about being rejected by your mate. There wasn't much, this was an extremely rare occurrence so I'd never really learnt much about it. I did know a few things though.

It was said to be an extremely slow and painful death, dragging it out until your body just gave up.

I would have until the mark faded completely, then I'd be dead.

And then...who knows.

I must have fallen asleep, because when I opened my eyes everyone was awake and getting ready to leave. I didn't feel rested at all, in fact it felt like I'd not slept in days. Everything ached and my neck was extremely stiff.

This was the beginning of the end.

I groaned quietly as I pushed myself up, stretching. I winced as the material of my shirt rubbed against the mark, sending painful shock through my body. I rolled up my bed and packed it in my bag, then collected my weapons and fastened them to the correct places. Before we left, I had to do something. It was only then did I notice the huge doors were open, sunlight shining in every nook and cranny. My eyes stung and my head instantly began pounding. Bloody hell could this be any worse...oh wait.

I shouldered my back pack and limped, due to my cramping legs, over to Gandalf who was talking to Balin.

"-aye, we are losing ground without ponies, the orcs will be upon us any day now!" Balin sighed, shaking his head.

"I know, I believe there was a town near here at one point, traded with Luka's kin. Maybe we could get ponies and a horse there." Gandalf suggested as I reached them.

"There was a town, small though, might not still be there. And it'll take us a day off corse. Do you want to risk it?" I questioned, squinting in the doomed light of day. Gandalf sighed, closing his eyes.

"I'm not sure..."

"Well, while you decide, there's something I need to do...just...wait for me here..." I told Gandalf before going out the door. I knew exactly where I was going. I stopped as I got out of the hall, sheltering my eyes from the harsh daylight. I grimaced as I was met with burnt ground, trees and bodies. Nothing new here. I turned right and kept going up the stone ramp that wrapped around the mountain. I was going to the very top...my old home.

My legs began to burn quickly, making me frown. Why was my stamina effected by being rejected?

Finally, two cramps and a breather later I stood in front of a door frame, the door that it once held was in splinters of the ground. That door had once been breathtakingly beautiful, made of polished oak. Now look at it, nothing but rubble beneath my feet. I stood, staring at the darkened door way for a while, gathering the strength to walk inside.