3. Annabeth and Reyna as Comrades-in-Arms

Annabeth, Percy and Reyna gathered in the Garden of Bacchus for their briefing. Annabeth deduced that the presence of the god Bacchus was invoked in his garden. Ideally, Annabeth would have liked a place that was shielded from the gods' eyes because what she was about to suggest was rather anti-Roman. But the only places that she could think of that were hidden from the gods weren't very nice places to be. Plus, based on her research, if there was any god likely to approve of their quest, it was going to be Bacchus. Or maybe Bacchus wouldn't care at all. Maybe he'd be too drunk to care. Those were dice that Annabeth was willing to roll.

Reyna was nursing a hot chocolate. Percy was having a blue cherry Coke.

"So I have to say something crazy," said Annabeth.

Reyna and Percy exchanged looks, like Uh-oh.

"I think that every major world religion was correct," said Annabeth. "And before you yell 'social relativism' at me, I mean every religion that claimed there was a pantheon of gods who exerted some kind of influence over humanity, correctly identified their own gods. Mythologies don't just exist in people's collective minds to unite societies. They were literal embodiments of very real gods that actually existed. But only within the boundaries of their respective societies."

Reyna shook her head. "Annabeth, what the are you talking about?"

"When I was seven years old, I discovered the Greek gods were real. Knowing that divine interference influenced my life fundamentally changed how I saw my place in the world. Then later I met an Egyptian magician on the subway. We fought a monster together. I learned that Egyptian gods exist, too." 

"So Greco-Roman Egyptian mythologies intersect," said Reyna. "So? It's not the first time different gods have interacted. Why is this interesting at all?"
"That's just it," said Annabeth. "I'm Greek. And I know that Roman and Egyptian gods exist. Why not ancient Chinese gods? Why not Cherokee gods? Norse gods, like Thor and Loki? Modern religions might even be right too."

Reyna sighed. "This is insane. How does it relate to Camp Jupiter? If you haven't noticed, there's been a heat wave for the past few weeks. It's a disaster."

"I don't know," admitted Annabeth. When she was younger, she hated not having answers. But now it excited her, the prospect of discovering something new, something that she could contribute to humanity's knowledge, rather than just learning things that were already known. She said, "I don't know, but I have a feeling that my mythology mystery and your heat wave problem are connected. The gods are hiding the truth about something."

"Sorry, Annabeth," said Reyna tersely. "I don't operate my camp on hunches. If you find evidence that proves that there really is a conspiracy, I'd be interested to hear it. Otherwise, you're wasting my time."

"But Reyna..."

Reyna held up her hand. "I'm very busy. It was nice seeing you." Reyna nodded curtly. "You too, Percy. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have work to do."

~~~

Annabeth caught up to Reyna in her quarters. When Reyna bade her in, Reyna's blade was unsheathed. Annabeth watched the knife warily. If her dream was any indication, Reyna still harbored old grudges against Annabeth. If her quest was going to be successful, Annabeth needed Reyna.

"Hello, Reyna," said Annabeth, approaching her slowly. Reyna's brown eyes met her own. There was a challenge in them. 

"I asked you not to bother me about your quest," said Reyna. "You're wasting your time."

"I'm just here to talk."

"Are you armed?"

"Yes," said Annabeth. "I have a dagger."

The Fate of Olympus | Reynabeth [✓]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara