Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Hockey Star Sends Flowers

KENNEDY

By Monday I felt a lot better. I'd my first real meal in days the night before. Granted it was a pretty bland dinner, baked potato, grilled chicken, and vegetables, but I kept it down and that was all that mattered.

Cory and I spent the morning with the team getting things situated. The film crew for the commercial was meeting with non-other than Trevor Price. He was the star quarterback and the one that would kick off the first commercial. Just his popularity alone would bring attention to what the LA football team were trying to do in combination with the City for the non-privileged kids.

I understood that he was the right person to bring attention to it, but it was just something about Trevor that irked me. He was as popular as Nash, maybe even more so, but the way he acted about it was different. He came off as arrogant and entitled. Nash may act arrogant at times too, but he never, ever behaved as though he deserved all his success. That was one of the things I loved about him. Liz and Howard had raised him and Isaac right. They were both humbled and remembered where they came from.

"Oh wow! Somebody is trying to make a good impression," Cory snickered when we got back to my office after lunch. I'd been too busy responding to a text message from Sammy to notice the huge bouquet of flowers on my desk.

"What?"

My eyes must have bulged out of their sockets when I leaned in to inspected the giant pink rose bouquet that was placed in a glass vase in the middle of my desk. It must've held upward of thirty roses.

"That's a serious bouquet!" Cory nodded his head like he had solved some significant mystery. "They could be from Trevor..."

What the hell?  That thought had not even occurred to me. There was no way Trevor would send me roses, was there? That would be so completely inappropriate.

"Relax," Cory chuckled when he noticed my horrified expression. "They're probably from your man." He grinned widely as my face blushed with embarrassment. 

"Cory," I warned, which only caused him to go hysterical laughing instead. I turned my back to him and searched the bouquet for a card which I eventually found tucked into the middle.

The flowers were in fact from Nash. The card only said "I miss you. Nash."

The smile on my face must have meant something to Cory because he walked over to the door. "I'll leave you alone to call him," he said with a grin on his face. "I've some stuff to finish anyway. I'll be at my desk if you need me."

"Thanks, Cory," I was still smiling when he walked out of my office and closed the door behind him.

I shrugged out of my jacket and smoothed out the blue v-neck sweater I was wearing.  I sent Nash a selfie of myself standing behind the humongous bouquet. It only took him about a minute to respond.

"I love you," his text said.

"I love you and I miss you," I wrote back. "Good luck tonight. I promise I will be watching!"

"Good. I'll talk to you tomorrow, babe. Coach is giving me the eye."

I laughed and was about to put my phone away when I remembered Sammy's message. I hadn't talked to her very much since I left New York and that was a little unusual. Tasha and Baxter's wedding had given her a boost at her bakery so she had spent more hours there than she used to, but it still felt a little odd. The time difference between us and our different hours contributed to it too, but it wasn't an excuse for us not to keep in touch the way we used to.

I sent Sammy a quick picture of my flowers and told her to call me later if she was going to watch the game.

"That man loves you," she responded with a heart and smiling emoji. "I'll call you tonight."