CHAPTER THREE

♞ ♞ ♞

♞ C H A P T E R  T H R E E ♞

" oh lord, oh lord
what do i do?
i've fallen for someone
who's nothing like you. "
- devil's backbone by the civil wars -

 "- devil's backbone by the civil wars -

♞ ♞ ♞

" her scent haunts me
she's in my dreams
i don't know why
but it seems
i can't let go of her. "

SHE AWOKE TO THE SMELL of ash. It invaded her personal space, entering her nostrils without her consent, and seemed to take over her senses completely. She narrowed her eyes—which were still closed—in confusion, wondering why she kept smelling ash in the first place. The scent was absolutely intoxicating, though, she had to admit. She thought she caught a whiff of cedar-wood as well.

When she finally opened her eyes, she was staring right into the dirt of the forest floor. She groaned lowly, pushing herself up with a wince. Her abdomen still ached, and it still hurt for her to draw a breath in.

She forced herself to stand up, though, having no idea how long she'd been out. The Red Paladins could find her any second. She couldn't believe she passed out like that. She'd never done something so foolish before.

Leaning against the tree to catch her breath, she cautiously took a step forward just to almost fall on her face. She felt so disoriented and was afraid to try to walk again. She didn't have the luxury to not try, though. She had to get out of that part of the forest.

She managed a few staggered steps, but every step felt like a chore and caused a burning pain to radiate throughout her entire body.

She gritted her teeth in frustration, wanting nothing more than to take her anger out on something—anything.

"What have you gotten yourself into now?" a familiar voice sounded from behind her.

Eris whipped around quite clumsily, her need to survive overpowering her pain just enough to snatch her dagger from its sheath and pin the man against the tree she was just leaning against with her dagger at his throat. When she took in his amused face she stumbled back a bit and rolled her eyes. "Gawain...I should've known."

"Gods, Eris, I know we didn't exactly end our last meeting on good terms, but I didn't think you wanted to kill me because of it," he joked, his mouth quirking up ever so slightly. He looked the same as he had the last time they'd seen one another—which was about a month ago—with his light mustache and beard and handsome long brown hair that came down past his chin. His hazel eyes were playful and full of mischief.

"Shut up," she muttered, only half serious. His voice was so loud to her ears and seemed to echo continuously inside her head.

He took notice that something was very wrong and immediately stepped closer to her. "Eris, hey, what's wrong? I heard the Red Paladins say you were injured..."