"The Exorcism" Chapter IX

When Ed came back he told Mia and John that the priests demanded proof so they were on their way to their apartment. John didn't hesitate a second before he got into the car with Mia and drove home with the Warrens straight behind them.

The sky had darkened and gray clouds were closing in to the city. When they reached the entrance door, an old man dressed in a white cape, came running down the stairs.

-I can't do this Ed. My heart won't take it. I trust you now. We all do.

Ed didn't have time to answer before the priest had pressed his bible and crucifix into his shaky hands and left. Bless you all, the priest mumbled before he disappeared.

-I can't do it.

Ed said, looking at something far beyond them. Lorraine grasped his arms and pushed back, gently.

-Listen to me Ed. You have to.

-I can't. I've never done it before.

-What if this had been our daughter? Would you just have walked away on her while she needed you the most? These people needs us! Why can't you see?

-I'm sorry.

-Do it for us, for the baby and for me. I know you can.

Ed hesitated. Mia was sobbing onto John's shoulder. She had never been so desperate.

-I'll do it.

Ed said. They hurried up the stairs and into the dim-looking apartment. There were at least twelve priests in the living room. All of them were standing in a circle around the doll that they'd tied in a chair. Annabelle's arms and feet were tied around the chair. It looked bizarre terrifying. Her eyeballs were blood red and the broad grin on her face looked straight through evil. There was no cuteness or innocence left. She was a pure monster.

Ed's fear was gone. He ducked under the tied hands of the priests that bound the circle. There was an energy in the room. It felt heavy and dark and strangely familiar. Ed holds the bible tightly under his left arm and the crucifix in his right hand. He goes in front of the doll and holds out the crucifix in front of her. The room started to shake violently. He can feel the little bottle of holy water vibrating, in his back pocket where he placed it just before he'd left.

A nostalgia sets over the room and Ed closes his eyes for a short while before reopening them. He read from the bible and begun the exorcism.

WARNING BEFORE YOU GO ANY FURTHER WITH READING THIS CHAPTER. THIS CONTENT CAN BE VERY DISTURBING FOR SOME READERS.

-Let us pray. God, whose nature is ever merciful and forgiving, accept our prayer that this servant of yours, bound by the fetters of sin, may be pardoned by your loving kindness.
Holy Lord, almighty Father, everlasting God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who once and for all consigned that fallen and apostate tyrant to the flames of hell. Who sent your only-begotten son into the world to crush that roaring lion; hasten to our call for help and snatch from ruination and from the clutches of noonday devil this human being made in your image and likeness.

Ed snapped the bottle of holy water out of his pocket and threw it in the sign of a cross on Annabelle and everyone in the circle, the water splashing onto their capes without any fear or hate. Only on the doll herself, the water corroded straight through her dress and the hollow cry of a demon echoed out of her wooden body. Only if you'd listen closely, you'd hear the innocent crying of a baby. A baby named Leah.