"Her soul" Chapter VII

Mia saw an exit sign on the right side by the elevator. She ran through it and up the stairs, screaming her daughter's name. Luckily, her summer dress was short enough for her to not stumble on it as she rushed up the stairs.

The lights flashed and suddenly the creature stood right in front of her. Mia's breath caught, feeling like the world stopped for a second before it all came tumbling down and she fell down the stairs.

There were sounds coming from everywhere and Mia's body felt like it was spinning while she lay on the third floor. For a short moment, she had forgot why she was in such a hurry before she heard Leah, screaming. The child she had carried for nine months. The infant she'd held for so many ours, laying there still and quiet, now screaming a blood-curling scream.

She basically flew to her feet and up to the fifth floor, straight into Leah's room.

The roof and walls were covered with signs and symbols, drawn with a red crayon. They were saying things like Her Soul and Miss me? What had happened around wasn't important at all, not after what was in the crib. Annabelle. Leah was gone.

Mia threw her hands over her and picked her up. The wooden doll looked evil. The smile that before had been adorable, was crooked and grinning, the way a psychopath grins after it's done something terrible.

-Where is she? What have you done to her?Give her back please!

Mia screamed, shaking Annabelle in her hands.

When nothing happened, she hit Annabelle against the metal railing of the crib, over and over again until her hands were so tired and sore that she threw her into the corner of the vandalized room.

Mia could still hear Leah, crying but she couldn't find her. Just when it felt hopeless, John came home. Mia was sitting on the floor, crying.

-Mia! What happened?

-She took her!

-What, what are you talking about?

-She took Leah!

-Who?

-Annabelle!

John stood still in the door opening. He looked lost, like he'd just forgotten where he was.

-I know someone that can help us.

He said, hopefully. John took the phone and dialed in a number. The phone rang a few times before there was an answer.

-It's Lorraine Warren. She can help us.

-Mia, here, it's Lorraine Warren on the phone, talk to her.

Mia stood up and took the phone.

-Hello? It's Lorraine Warren.

-Ugh, hello. You have to help us. Our baby is gone and this, this doll took her!

Her voice was thick and shaky from the adrenalin. What she was saying sounded crazy.

-Okay, just stay calm. We'll help you. You just have to get out of wherever you are.

-She took my baby!

-I'm so sorry, dear, but I can't help you unless you come over so we can talk.

-Please! I want her back first.

-She won't come back if we don't help you, so now you have to get out and we'll talk about this okay?

-Okay.