(45) Why Does He Like Surprises So Much?

Chapter 45

“Where are we going?” We were in his car, heading towards the more populated side of the city. I was wearing what he told me with some black strappy high heels.

“You’ll see when we get there.” Daniel grumbled. He himself was all styled up. He wore a black cashmere turtleneck with a sharp looking leather jacket over with some black jeans. His curly hair was a little frizzy since it looked like it wasn’t done since this morning. It was odd that he hadn’t done his hair either, with how classy his outfit was.

“Why won’t you tell me?” I bugged him, tugging on his jacket.

“Because you’ll see when we get there.”

“But I don’t want to wait until we get there-”

“Aish! You ever heard of a surprise? Now shut up and listen to the music!” He pressed a button on the stereo in the middle of the dashboard and loud rock music filled the car.

I sat back with crossed arms and pouted.

“Get your seatbelt on.”

I looked up at him, ditching the pout in my confusion. “Eh?”

“Seatbelt.” He too a quick glance toward me before returning his eyes to the road. “Get it on.”

I huffed. “Geez. I asked you to pretend to be my boyfriend, not my mother.” But I reached behind me and grabbed the seat belt.

“What was that?” Daniel said. “Do you really want me to turn into your mother?”

My eyes widened. I thought the music would cover my muttered comment. “You heard that?”

“You do realize you said that out loud, don't you?” He raised an eyebrow.

“Of course I did! But this music is loud enough that most normal people wouldn’t have heard that!”

“Well then, I guess I’m not normal.” We pulled up to a red light and he sat back and looked over to me. “You still haven’t put it on.” He leaned in over me.

At his unexpected closeness, I sunk into the seat, looking up at his close face with wide eyes. He looked into my eyes for a moment before he smirked and reached for my seatbelt.

I was frozen as he pulled it around over me and buckled it. I hadn’t realized I was holding my breath until he backed up and I inhaled.

The air I inhaled smelled of him. He was wearing cologne. It was apparent. Once I inhaled it, it made my face heat up. It was a slight blush, nothing like when he wrapped a sweaty arm around me and I got a full whiff of his natural scent. This cologne was more mellow than that, but it mixed well with his natural scent.

“You should listen, or I’ll really kiss you again like last time.” He joked.

My face grew hotter as I remembered the kiss. His soft lips pressing against mine...

I shook my head to clear it.

Oddly enough, the both of us stayed quiet the rest of the way there. I glanced over once to see Daniel’s expression. He seemed to be brooding over something.

As for me, now that he had brought it up, I couldn’t help but think about that, and then I was thinking about all the other crazy things that had taken place in my life in just one short week. Finding a fake boyfriend who liked to splurge. Going on a double date with said guy with best friend and my crush. Even the locker incident. I even cried!

Really, what an interesting week. It made me wonder what was in store for me next. If this were a romance story, the ex-girlfriend would probably come next. I joked.