(34) The Surprise Waiting in the Locker

Chapter 34

I tripped for the third time since I left the house. I glared at Daniel from underneath my lashes.

"You know, if you keep making that face, you're going to get wrinkles," he said as he walked beside me, hands in his jean pockets. Today his head of curly hair was spiked and his clothes were sharp-looking. I wondered if he had some kind of special something going on today.

"I already told you I hated wearing heels-"

"Correction, you said you weren't used to wearing them."

I glared. "Because I always trip when I use them!"

"So?" He stopped and held out his elbow to me, "That's why I told you to hold on to me."

I growled and tried to stalk past him, but nearly tripped again.

"Quit being stubborn and just hold on to me." He grabbed me by the waist and helped me up.

I snatched myself out of his grip and started walking towards the bus stop angrily, but I don't think I was showing how angry I was being, because every step I took was wobbly.

When I turned the corner, I nearly tripped, but Daniel's strong arm was there for me to hold on to and gain my balance, and his hand wrapped around my waist. Now it looked like we were snuggling while walking.

I almost pulled out of his arms, but I heard a voice just a little ways down. "Oh look! It's the couple!" I looked up to see little freshman boy pointing our way. I sighed and smiled. I could feel Daniel's laugh rumble through his chest.

I hit him, but that only made him laugh harder.

By now, all eyes were on us, so I couldn't do anything that I wanted. Like yell at Daniel.

I looked up ahead at the many eyes staring at us. "Is it just me, or is there a lot more people at the bus stop today?"

"Well, this is mostly how it always is when I ride the bus. It just comes with being popular. Everyone wants to get on at the same bus stop as you." Daniel explained.

I sighed. "Then I'm glad I'm not popular."

"On the contrary, since you became my girlfriend, you became known throughout the entire school campus." Daniel whispered in my ear, since we were just about to get to the bus stop. I stumbled on an upraised sidewalk piece, but Daniel held me up. "See? You won't fall when I'm next to you."

"Shut up," I grumbled.

The bus arrived only a few minutes after we got there, and everyone practically moved out our way as we moved to get on. "Eh?" I looked behind us to see them all with their eyes on us.

"As celebrities, we get to get on the bus first." Daniel said, helping me up the stairs of the bus.

"Oh joy," I blandly said.

Once we sat down, Daniel leaned over and asked, "Why are your eyes always on the other people?"

"Maybe because I'm not used to being around people who stare at me and like to get in my business." I rolled my eyes.

"Wow. You're not used to a lot of stuff, are you?" Daniel observed. "How have you been living all this time?"

"Quietly," I spat.

He laughed. "Sorry Babe, but you're going to be having a lot more attention now."

I pouted. "Maybe I should have picked someone else." I grumbled, and in a lower voice, I muttered, "Why did my stupid finger decide to point to you of all people on this campus?"

"So, it's that easy to pick someone else?" Daniel asked, he seemed to be a little irritated as he looked at me, his dark eyes glinting down at me.

"Well, yeah ... I just pointed to anyone, and it ended up being you," I said seriously.

Oddly enough, Daniel didn't say anything after that. Even throughout breakfast, he didn't say much besides asking what I wanted.

And unceremoniously, he dropped me off in the band room.

Maybe he was nervous over that special event he had today, the thing that he was all dressed up for.

I sighed as I wound through the band people who had already arrived. Most of all the rest of the band group was rowdy, and it was almost like a huge family who did weird things with bengay and monster energy drinks--not particularly in that order...

But I was different. I usually stayed to myself. The only one I usually talked to was Sharon, and occasionally, Caleb.

So, usually no one called out to me nor greeted me, but lately, I realized many people were actually seeing me. Some waved when I looked their way, some said hi. And that little girl from before, I think she was on percussion, came up to me and gushed and said hi and all that stuff.

Why was I already starting to feel exhausted? Maybe it was all the smiling I was doing ... or maybe the high heels I was wearing. I'm surprised I didn't trip on my way to my locker. I guess that I was getting a little used to them. I felt so tall in them though. Like, I wasn't so short anymore. I even reached up to half of the band people's height.

I was feeling pretty good about myself until opened my locker. My heart sunk as I looked at the mess in my locker. My music was strewn everywhere, and soaked. It looked like it could be orange juice and milk.

But what got me was that all the way in the back, my clarinet case was open, and my clarinet pieces were everywhere, mixed in with my soaked music papers. Hanging by a locker magnet on the locker door was a note:

I WARNED YOU.

:(