Chapter 3 - Home

Joseph doesn’t know how he’s managed it but he’s arrived in Cardiff two hours earlier than he had expected as the taxi pulls up outside his childhood home, Joseph checks his phone to find a message on his answering service from Reuben so listens to it before he goes to meet his Dad.

“Hey, Joe, I just wanted to leave a quick message to say thanks, again.  You’re awesome.  The arrangements are all set.  About the tux… uh, yes, I have managed to rent one for you and not only that I have arranged for someone to meet you at the station at 11:45 in case you’re running late, for whatever reason.  I phoned Olivia’s sister Molly about squaring up your flat but I got her girlfriend instead.  She’s one nasty bitch.  She told me to fuck off and stop taking advantage of Molly.  I’ll call again but if she answers the phone again… may be you should give her a call.  Oh and I called, her mum, she’s not happy about living at her ex-husband’s house.  Nothing I can do about that but I thought I’d better warn you in case you get an irate phone call from her.  That’s about all I got for now.  If there’s anything else you need, my cell will probably be off by the time you get this so just leave a message and I’ll deal with it once I land in New York.  Good luck buddy.”

Pushing open his fathers’ front door, Joseph sent Reuben a quick thank you text message back.  Also asking him to let him know if there are last minute changes, Joseph then wishes him a happy holiday.

“Is that you Joseph?” calls Rhys, his father.

“Yeah, it’s me.”

“I’m in the living room.”

“Coming.”

Joseph finds Rhys sitting alone with telly down low as he enters.  Rhys is sitting in his wife’s old armchair, something that has become a habit since his Eleanor passed two years previously.  Rhys rarely leaves the house anymore.

“How long are you here for?” Rhys asks.

“Just tonight, Dad.  How are you?”

“I’m all right, son.  You don’t need to worry about me.”

“You left a message, though.  It sounded urgent.”

“Well, yeah…” Rhys said evasively.  “Have you had something to eat yet?”

“Not much.  Fancy a takeout?”

“I was going to suggest we go down to the local.”

“Yeah, if you like.” Joseph said surprised.  He normally has a hard time to get his father to go out.  “Are you sure you’re all right, Dad?”

“Yes, I’m fine.” He says impatiently.  “I see New York is having a bit of bad weather.  I hope you’re other half is all right.”

“She’s stuck in an airport right now.  Her flight’s been delayed.  Can I use your computer?  I want to see if there’s been any development.  See how long it’ll be before they start flying again.”

“Help yourself, son.  You’d be better off calling Olli, though.”

“I’ll ring her in a minute.”

Getting Rhys’ old computer to work takes forever and the internet rarely works.  He needs a new modem.  Eventually Joseph gets online only to find that the planes are still on the ground for now with no sign of when they’ll be allowed up yet.  He resolves to call Olivia.

“Hello.” She answers.

“Hello, love.  How are you?”

“Terribly bored and a little drunk.”

“Drunk?”

“Blame Emma.”

“Oi, I didn’t force that down your throat so don’t blame me!” Emma pipes up.