Twenty-Five: Worry For Friends

The rain had started while we were too deep inside the library to hear it, but it was fairly light, nothing to write home about. What got me was the wind. One step out the library doors and it almost knocked me over. The campus looked nearly deserted. Only a few students remained, fighting their way through the gusts, carrying bags. They were going home, to hunker down with their families. But so many could not. They lived too far away, or the dorms were the only type of housing they could afford, on their budget.

That reminded me, there was a dorm meeting tonight. One I would have attended with Clay... The guilt hit me like a punch to the gut. I'd just left him, blood around his mouth, lying there on the floor.

“I'm going to find Clay,” I yelled, over the wind.

“You need to go to Sara!” Pen yelled back. He had been standing in the doorway of the library, but he ran down the steps after me.

A gust hit me, and I almost fell. Pen's hand steadied me.

“I have no idea where she is. The second she shows up I'll go talk to her, I swear. My friend is hurt. I'm going to find him. Come with me if you must.”

Pen nodded, waving goodbye to Kasdaye and Tamiel, who walked in the other direction. He really was coming with me. I wasn't sure what the others would make of that.

First I tried to call him, no answer, of course. Then June, no answer. Then Lily. She picked up on the first ring.

“Lily!” I tried to yell, over the wind, but it was impossible.

Running to the doors of the nearby math building, Pen followed me.

“Sorry,” I panted, as soon as the door shut behind us. “I can hear you now.”

“Xavier!” She sounded annoyed. “Where did you go? What the hell happened? Kate says she saw this guy with a knife, and he put her to sleep?”

“First I need to know,” I cut her off, “is everyone alright? Clay?”

There was a long pause. “Gregor's a hundred percent. I didn't know it was possible to survive a possession so unharmed. And Kate too, she's fine. I don't know what I would have done if I'd lost another family member?”

“I'm so glad.” I was sincere, trying not to sound rushed. “And Clay?”

Another long pause. “He's got some internal bleeding. He's being kept asleep. The doctors say he'll be okay though.”

Pen stood a few paces away, watching me. I forced my anger down. I would yell at him later.

“Which hospital is he at? I have to visit him.”

“He's actually right on campus. They've set up this triage thing at the health centre.”