Chapter 7

It's cold and damp, not to mention, dark. The darkness veils us from the light above. I hold Meghan's hand. Careful.  No one needs to slip.

I lead the way. As we reach the bottom of the stairwell, a tunnel goes right. I look at Meghan, and we shift our direction down the tunnel. A light is around a corner. 

"Follow that light, apparently." I mutter. At the end of the corridor is a room. It is also where the light was glowing from. I hesitantly enter, motioning for Meghan to wait. The inside is dark like the rest of the secret base, but a small candle burns. It dances upon the wall. I watched silently. I haven't seen any movement in the room. I have to be sure we were in the right place. 

"Is anyone in here?" I add courage to my words, though I stutter anyways. No one answers. I exhale and I continue inward. I glance around at my surroundings. Broken chairs and tables litter the room. It looks like a classroom. Why would a classroom be buried so deep underground? My questions would should be answered, soon.

Suddenly, a rough hand cups my mouth. Another does the same for Meghan, for I hear her muffled cry. I choke back a scream. I twist myself so that I can see the face in which the hand belonged to, but I could only see darkness. I kick him and bite his hand. He lets go of me and I run to Meghan. I take her out of the unknown's custody.

"Where is Claire?" I shout. "Where is she?" 

"Follow, now." the unknown personnel say.

We follow them through a small door that opens to a large room. Mac and Claire sit at a table talking. Claire must have questions pouring out of her ears. I envision this and I laugh to myself.

I walk over to Mac. "I thought you could find us. Did you cover the tracks?" he asks.

"Yes, I did cover the tracks." I hiss. I know that he is stronger than me, but I grab his collar and I yank him up. I throw him against the wall. I'm sure it didn't hurt, for he smiles. 

"You," I hiss again, "have questions to answer! No more secrets." I throw him back to his chair. He stumbles as I walk to an unoccupied chair around the table.

"What questions do you have on your mind?" he smirks.

"You are going to tell me what the meaning of that act was." I gesture to the two hidden people in the corner.

"Oh, that." he says, "You wouldn't have been able to find the little door."

"You doubted us?" I question. My eyes narrow.

"No," his hands fly up in defense, "and the whole gag act was so you wouldn't scream." he finishes.

"You thought we would scream?" I ask, "You are such an idiot! Why would we scream?"

He points upward. I look. There is a net filled with something. I looked closer. The net is filled with bodies.

I yelp. "What are they doing here?"

"Avery, that is the whole neighborhood." he explains. "They were all terminated." he whispers. 

"Why?" I ask. 

"This is what happens to rebels. The whole neighborhood was part of a rebellion that failed." he replies.

I cringe. "What are we doing here? The society knows where this hidden tunnel is, right?" I ask.

"Technically, yes they do. We are safe here though. The government never returns to termination sites." he clarifies.

So, this was a termination site. I feel sick. "Okay, more questions." he urges.

"Alright, who are those people?" I gesture to the hidden rebels. "Why are you so fixated on those two?" he replies, "Fine. The one who took you, his name is Darius. The one who took Meghan, her name is Adalene."

Adalene made it out. I am relieved. I am, in fact fond of the girl's courage. I never thought of her to be a rebel.

"Questions?" he pushes. "Alright, the rebellion. What exactly are we doing?" I ask.

Mac smiles, "My favorite subject. We started the rebellion eight months ago. Our village was terminated, but we escaped." he took a breath, "Our hatred began building frequently. We were alone, we were homeless." he continues, "Then, we came up with an idea." he pauses.

"Adalene decided to volunteer as an instructor and I volunteered as an official." Mac explains. "We planned to recuit a new team of rebels from the Academy." I listen carefully. "We recruited only the strongest, bravest, and most loyal of the Academy's population."

Adalene took over. "We have constructed an idea to head north," she informs, "There is another small society in an area once known as Alaska." she continues, "There, we will meet with the northern rebels and finish this, for we cannot do it alone."

Questions pour through my mouth. All of which I receive an answer. Although, the one thing that frightens me the most is the risk of rebelling together as one, but dying alone cradled in the arms of fear itself.