Chapter 16

When I wake up in the loft, it's still dark. I look out the window. It's hazy, as always, but a star glimmers in the distance. Millions to billions of light years away, and yet, if I stretch my arms out far enough, my hands can grasp the little dot of light. I do this now, dreaming of what it would be like somewhere safe. The little star might even guide me to a safe haven.

That's a lot of pressure you're putting on that little star.

I grin. The little voice inside my head always disagrees with the one without. It's me though, and I am just tired.

I am wide awake though.

I waltz around the loft like a fairy. The moonlight dances softly and grimly across the barren floor. I glide across, silently dancing to its mournful tune. I close my eyes, what life could've been dances along side me, this time in my head, or in my dreams.

I am just a young girl, in an old world, ready for change, and ready to let go.

A creak in the wood sends me out of my fantasy. I turn to see a shadow watching me.

"Who's there?" I whisper fiercely.

"Oh, just me." an unfamiliar voice replies.

I back up into the loft wall, tripping over a body in the process. I look down hesitantly. My family is strewn across the floor, dead. In the corner I hear shallow breaths. Tears streaming from my eyes, I rush over to the survivor.

It's Adalene.

"Avery, he's coming for you, he murdered many, and you're his last kill." she says. Adalene goes still, eyes rolling back into darkness.

Laughter echoes through the hangar.

"Where am I now?" the voice hisses. "Oh, look! Over here darling."

I turn frightened, the moon goes out. The little light that I had is now gone. I am vulnerable to only darkness and evil. I whimper soundlessly.

I turn back around, heart pounding.

The General stands in front of me, dripping blood from his mouth. His eyes are pure white, his hair stands on end, and his face is covered in scars.

"How do you want to die?" his raspy voice screeches. He motions to my family lying upon the cold floor, "They chose happily." he throws his head back laughing.

I scream.

~

The nightmares had begun again. I continue to scream, daring not to open my eyes in case my nightmare had become reality.

I want someone to comfort me, but no one has come to my aid. My screams continue.

Still, no one.

Then, I hear someone. Rough hands cup around my waist and pull me upright. My hands cover my eyes.

My rescuer holds me tight, reassuring me that it is okay to open my eyes. I'm afraid.

I move my hands, but my eyes remain shut, tears leaking slowly.

"T-there d-dead a-aren't t-they?" I stutter.

"Who?" Mac says.

"M-my f-family a-and A-adalene." I choke.

"No, why would you think that?" he says.

I don't respond.

"You had a nightmare, it wasn't real." he says. He pulls my face away from his shoulder, removing the hair concealing my face. "You can open your eyes now."