[ T E N ]

here we are, at "lunch".

if you could even call it that. it was simply a little picnic get-together thing because katara was bored, bored and wanted to look for more signs about sokka and zuko.

the only one who knew she was so invested in this was aang, of course. toph still away with her mother and father.

she'd be returning soon at some point, or at least that's what she continued to say when reaching out to the rest of the gaang.

they just assumed she got super incredibly homesick, (which was not the case at all.)

__________________________

"katara, what.. what even is this?" sokka held up some.. bag of something. some 'snack' which looked more like fried rat if you asked him.

"oh. i got it at the market, yknow, while you two lo- idiots were setting up." katara lied. actually, she'd gotten that snack quite awhile ago, and certainly before all this zuko and sokka shit started happening.

"i didn't ask when or where. i asked what." sokka just rolled his eyes and opened it out of the package.

aang sat beside katara on the grass.. well, he was supposed to be on the quilt she'd gotten from gran gran but decided (silently) katara could have more room. he looked confused, but only a bit. aang was mainly just listening to sokkas usual bullcrap.

zuko, was sitting right next to his.. after dark lover. also listening, but far more intently than aang was. he had a daisy in his hand and was twirling it between his index finger and thumb. he'd probably end up melting the poor things stem, because he practically radiated heat.

and maybe it was just the fact he was literally a firebender, but sokka thought sometimes the firebending wasn't the culprit.

he wasn't.. always so dreamy? because right now, he dreamt of zuko and why he did what he did. he had a feeling maybe, if he didn't sound too crazy, zuko only radiated heat like that because he was so desperate for some form of affection.

him being warm made it easier, would make people crave that type of attention. people want to hug zuko, want to hold him.. stuff like that, and they'd only be doing it because he had such a gentle hold. but to get more people to give him affection?? it'd probably help mend some of the still open wounds from terrible parenting, trauma, abuse, the list goes on.

sokka thought it was a defense mechanism.

but hey, maybe that was just what sokka thought because this idiot blinded him and made him stutter. lose his train of thought, actually be quiet for once.

anyhow sokka finished opening the package, and took it out. he was just inspecting it on each and every side, picking out the details. because that's what sokka does now. he pays attention to every. last. particle. every slight shift of body language, a draft change in the room, the subtle shift in lighting after the sun goes behind the clouds before re-emerging

zuko seemed to have that effect on a lot people.

"this looks like a fried rat."

"sokka! don't say that-! do you even understand how offensive that is?? it's someone else's culture." katara shot back at him, and to her dismay he chucked the food at her.

"sokka- don't throw that. you're going to ruin my dress." katara furrowed her brows at her brothers dumb face, and picked up the 'fried rat' (which wasn't even fried rat, katara just decided she'd go along with it because if not, she'd lose an argument.) the skirt, setting it down on the quilt.