Chapter 73

With every blink, the light in Andrian's eyes grows. He's becoming more aware. It seems that now Rowan has made him look around, he's starting to realise things. It's like he's crashing through different levels of awareness like they are waves now. With each one he crashes through, he becomes more aware. Rowan can see the exact moment Andrian is himself again, his eyes widen just before he bolts to his feet. He's still gripping her hand, he yanks her off the chair with him. Rowan winces.

"An. Everything is fine. Calm down."

He twists to look at her before his eyes trail down to her wrist, his own fingers wrapped tightly around her hand. He releases her immediately, his eyes still wide. Rowan reaches for him, her voice soothing.

"Sit back down, Andrian. Everything is fine."

He shakes his head. "But where I was hidden, it was a trap, Ro."

"Yes, I know. You've said that several times. I don't know if you mean because the Seelie Lord could have been waiting or because the moment I removed your shackles we were sealed in, but we made it out, Andrian."

He frowns. "Both were the trap. The shackles and he was waiting."

"Well, he wasn't waiting, Andrian."

Andrian's frown deepens. "Why?"

Rowan shrugs and shifts on her feet nervously. "Well, I may have taken his memories of my family."

Andrian's eyes had just started to go back to normal but now they widen again. "You what?! He is going to kill you!"

Rowan's hands fly to her hips and she scowls at him. "You think I don't know that? It was the only thing I could do. It was that or let him take me wherever he wished and there was no way in hell I was going to do that."

"Ro . . ." He runs his hands down his face.

Rowan places a hand on his shoulder. "I know, Andrian. We'll figure something out. But for now, he's busy searching the woods for the stone I bound his memories to and he'll still have to unbind them. So we have time."

"But how much of it?"

Rowan shrugs. "We won't know until we run out of that time. Now, do I need to stay here with you or can I go home? I haven't seen my family in days."

Andrian's eyes widen again. "Go, go see your family. But stay safe, Ro. You're too important to get hurt."

Rowan flushes and shakes her head. "I'm not important, An. I'm just me."

"You're important to me. And besides, what about that prophecy?"

"I don't think it's about me, Adrian."

He laughs. "I guess we'll find out someday. Now go on, I'll see you later."

Rowan nods, beaming, and moves towards the door. A quick glance around the room shocks her. At some point, Camden and Cáel had disappeared, leaving Andrian and Rowan alone. She pulls the strap of her bag higher up on her shoulder and steps out the door. The walk to the river seems to go by in an instant and she takes a deep breath before she enters the water.

The waters of the passage are calmer than normal as they curl around her, pushing her through to the bank of the river by her house. She swims to shore and wades out with a laugh, her red hair tossed over one shoulder by the wind. She smooths it down and breaks into a run, spearing for her house.

As she gets closer, she begins to smell baking bread on the wind. Rowan laughs. Of course, her mother is baking again. Rowan closes the gate beyond herself when she enters the yard, restraining a grin. Even if it's just for a short time, she doesn't have to deal with the hecticness of hiding from the Seelie Lord. She can enjoy her life and the magic that's so new to her that she hasn't yet had the chance to fully explore without using it to protect herself.
________________________________________________________________________________
Well, this is a shock. A Kelpie of Rowan is done. We made it. What did you think of this story? What's going to happen in the next book?(The Seelie Curse) Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you tomorrow in The Seelie Curse!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.