02

The Birthday

"Hey, Elena."

"Oh, hey Anna. Why are you calling so early?"

"Sorry, but Jer won't pick up the phone. I've tried three times already. He's late for work and Matt's all up in my business about it cause he can't reach him either."

"Okay, I'll go wake him, he's probably still asleep."

"Thanks, Elena. See you later?"

"Yeah, bye."

Elena hangs up the phone and I turn to Matt who looks at me expectantly. "Elena says he's probably still sleeping if he doesn't pick up. She's waking him up now." He scoffs and shakes his head, "seriously!?" I just shrug my shoulders and we get back to work.

It's been a few months since my mom and I moved to Mystic Falls. I have most of my classes with Caroline, Elena, and Bonnie and we have become good friends. I also met Tyler and Matt through an incident involving a football. I don't wanna talk about it. I sometimes hang out with Jeremy. We bonded over art, who would have thought. Concerning school, everything has been going great considering we have a summer break and I've been working at the Mystic Grill for two months now. I've really gotten used to Mystic Falls.

"Hey, Anna!" I turn around to see Jeremy jogging over. "Took you long enough, Gilbert. Matt wants you to sort out the boxes in the back as punishment for being late," I tell him with a smirk on my face. "Wipe that smirk off," he tells me as I hand him his apron, "you're just happy you don't have to do it." I laugh, "ain't that the truth."

"Hey, Anna!" Matt calls me over to him. "Have fun," I tease Jeremy in a sing-song voice and walk over to Matt. "What is it?" I ask him. "I need you to switch sections with me," he tells me looking over a clipboard. "Why?" I look at him confused. "Caroline and Tyler just sat in mine." "So?" "So I don't feel like waiting on my ex-girlfriend," Matt tells me, his voice rising. "Seriously?" I ask him.

With a last pleading look and slight annoyance, he walks away from me over to my section. "Matt!" I call after him but he ignores me. I shake my head and grab a plate of fries and a jug with cold water in it and head outside to Matt's section. As I get outside I give the fries to the couple that ordered them and walk to Caroline's and Tyler's table.

"Hey, guys," I greet them and pour some more water into their cups. "Did Matt make you switch sections?" Caroline asks looking up at me. I just sight and continue pouring the water. "He thinks we're dating," Caroline tells Tyler. "So is my mother," he responds. "What!?" Caroline exclaims. "We're together all the time. It's not a leap." "Heh. That's crazy" "Right?" They awkwardly smile at each other. "Could have fooled me," I scoff lowly and leave before Caroline can react to what I said.

• • •

"More beer. You're welcome!" I put the beer box down with the other boxes in the main living space of the Salvatore Boardinghouse. "Thanks," Elena says. "You got some muscle on you, girl," Tyler says as he walks in behind me. "What can I say," I shrug, "I like to work out." He chuckles and I turn back to Elena and Caroline. "Hey, where's the bathroom in this giant house? Or at least one of the bathrooms?" Elena chuckles, "down the right corridor, second door on the left." "Thanks," and I go search for the bathroom.

As I walk back I can hear them talking about something and I stop behind the wall so they can't see me.

"I feel like I have to fight Damon every single time we get a led on Stefan." - Elena

A lead on Stefan? Why a lead? I thought he's traveling and visiting relatives.

"Maybe he doesn't want to find him." - Tyler