35. The Endgame

"We can die like the heroes before us, or live to be the wicked ones, the wicked ones we're running from." - All Time Low, Take cover 

The moment her finger touches the Mark, my scar burns savagely, the starry room vanishes from sight, and I'm standing upon an outcrop of rock beneath a cliff, and the sea is washing around me, and there is a triumph in my heart - they have the twins. 

A loud bang brings me back to where I'm standing, Harry and I gripping each other in an attempt to stay upright. Disorientated, I raise my wand, but the witch before me is already falling backwards: she hits the ground so hard that the glass in the bookcases tinkles. 

"I've never Stunned anyone, except in our DA lessons," says Luna, sounding mildly interested. "That was noisier than I thought it would be."

And sure enough, the ceiling has begun to tremble. Scurrying echoing footsteps are growing louder from behind the door leading to the dormitories: Luna's spell has woken the sleeping Ravenclaws. 

"Luna, where are you?" I hiss, as Harry and I stumble. "We need to get back under the Cloak!"

Luna's feet appear from out of nowhere: we hurry to her side, and she lets the Cloak fall back over us all as the door opens and a stream of Ravenclaws, all in their nightclothes, flood into the common room. There are gasps and cries of surprise as they see Alecto lying there unconscious. Slowly, they shuffle in around her, a savage beast that might wake at any moment and attack them. Then one brave little first year darts up and prods her backside with his big toe. 

"I think she might be dead!" he shouts with delight. 

"Oh, look," whispers Luna happily, as the Ravenclaw's crowd in around Alecto. "They're pleased!"

"Yeah...great..."

I close my eyes, and as my scar throbs I choose to sink again into Voldemort's mind...he's moving along the tunnel into the first cave...he's chosen to make sure of the locket before coming...and that won't take him long...

There's a rap on the common-room door and every Ravenclaw freezes. From the other side, I hear the soft, musical voice that issues from the eagle door knocker: "Where do vanished objects go?"

"I dunno, do I?" snarls an uncouth voice that I know belongs to that of the Carrow brother, Amycus. "Alecto? Alecto? Are you there? Have you got them? Open the door?"

The Ravenclaws are whispering amongst themselves, terrified. Then, without warning, there comes a series of loud bangs, as though someone is sounding a gun into the door. 

"ALECTO! If he comes, and we haven't got the Potters -- d'you want to go the same way as the Malfoys? ANSWER ME!" Amycus bellows, shaking the door for all he's worth, but still, it will not open. The Ravenclaws are all backing away, and some of the most frightened begin scampering back upstairs to their beds. Then, just as I start to wonder whether I should open the door and stun Amycus, a second, most familiar voice rings out beyond the door. 

"May I ask you what you are doing, Professor Carrow?"

"Trying -- to get -- through this damned -- door!" shouts Amycus. "Go and get Flitwick! Get him to open it, now!"

"But isn't your sister in there?" asks Professor McGonagall. "Didn't Professor Flitwick let her in, earlier this evening, at your urgent request? Perhaps she could open the door for you? Then you needn't wake up half the castle."

"She ain't answering, you old besom! You open it! Garn! Do it, now!"

"Certainly, if you wish," says McGonagall, with awful coldness. There is a gentle tap of the knocker, and the musical voice asks again, "Where do vanished objects go?"