11. Magic is Might

"Scratch that, this is not a moment it's the movement." - My Shot, Hamilton

As August wears on, the square of unkempt grass in the middle of Grimmauld PLace shrivels in the sun until it is brittle and brown. The inhabitants of nunber twelve are never seen by anybody in the surrounding houses, and nor is number twelve itself. The Muggles who live in Grimmauld Place have long since accepted the amusing mistake in the numbering that had caused number eleven to sit beside nunber thirteen.

And yet the square is now attracting visitors who seem to find the anomaly most intriguing. Barely a day apsses without one or two people arriving in Grimmauld Place with no other purpose, or so it seems, than to lean against the railings facing nubers eleven and thirteen, watching the join between the two houses. The lurkers are never the same two days running, although they all seem to share a dislike for normal clothing. Most of the Londoners who pass them are used to eccentric dressers and take little notice, though occasionally one of them most glance back, wondering why anyone would wear such long cloaks in this heat.

The watchers seem to be gleaning little satisifaction from their vigil. Occasionaly one of the starts forward excitedly, as if they've seen something interesting at last, only to fall back looking disappointed.

On the first day of September there are more people lurking in the square than ever before. Half a dozen men in long cloaks stand silent and watchful, gazing as ever at houses eleven and thirteen, but the thing for which they are waiting still appears elusive. Meanwhile, within number twelve, Ron, Hermione, and I are flitting through various hand sketched maps, loudly discussing our next course of action. Dad and Sirius are on one of their regular trips to the Burrow, as to not arouse suspicion.

The kitchen is almost unrecognizable. Every surface now shines: Copper pots and pans have been burnished to a rosy glow; the wooden tabletop gleams; the goblets and plates already laid for dinner glint int he light from a merrily blazing fire, on which a cauldron is simmering. Nothing in the rom, however, is more dramatically changed than the house-elf, Kreacher.

As I scan one of the maps, we hear the low drawl of"Severus Snape?" from above, signalling Harry's return. A few moments later he appears in the kitchen, and calls out. "I'ved got news, and you won't like it."

Kreacher comes hurrying towards him before anyone can respond, dressed in a snowy-white towel, his ear hair as clean and fluffy as cotton wool, Regulus' locket bounding on his thin chest.

"Shoes off, if you please, Master Harry, and hands watched before dinner," he croaks, seizing the Invisbility Claok and slouching off to hang it on a hook on the wall, beside a number of old-fashioned robes that have been freshly laundered.

"What's happened?" Ron asks apprehensively. Harry strides towards us and throws down a newspaper beside the chessboard, where the picture of a familar, hook-nosed, black-haired man stares up at us all, beneath a headline which reads:

SEVERUS SNAPE CONFIRMED AS HOGWARTS HEADMASTER

"No!" We all cry loudly, outraged.

Hermione is the quickest; she snatches up the newspaper and begins to read the accompanying story out loud.

"'Severus Snape, long-standing Potions master as Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, was today appointed headmaster in the most important of several staffing changes made at the ancient school. Following the resignation of the previous Muggle Studies teacer, Alecto Carroe will take over the post while her brother, Amycus, fills the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts professor.

"'I welcome the oppurtunity to uphold our finest wizarding traditions ands values --' Like committing murder and cutting off people's ears, I suppose! Snape, headmaster! Snape in Dumbledore's study -- Merlin's pants!" she shrieks, making us all jump. She leaps from the table and hurtles from the room, shouting as she goes, "I'll be back in a minute!"