blow away like smoke in air

Loki had one thing to ask of Peter. Peter wasn't sure if giving his best friend what he begged for was a good idea.

///

"What did mister Thor say?" The kid's voice was stern — stern and firm which was... unlike Peter. That coupled with the look on his face, Loki could already tell maybe Peter wasn't the best go-to person when it came to this. But the truth was Peter was also the only person Loki had. He simply couldn't imagine himself asking for this from anyone else.

"Thor didn't say anything," Loki said at last. He averted his eyes, his voice a great deal quieter when compared to Peter's, and it was getting harder for him to ignore the way his pride was so brutally hurt. Maybe you shouldn't have come to him at all. Maybe you should've done this all by yourself, it would be a struggle, sure. And you might not even succeed. But at least you wouldn't have to drag your pride through mud like this.

"And... why's that?" Peter cooked his head to the side, only slightly. Like they were doing a round of interrogation; Peter the cop and Loki a pathetic thief.

"Because Thor doesn't know," saying that aloud, to Loki, felt too much like he had just been forced to confess a crime he, indeed, did commit. A pathetic one. But still a crime.

"Don't you think that should change -"

"No!" Loki cut Peter off. He hadn't meant to be so... defensive, so quick to turn down the suggestion. He just knew what Thor would say, if he were to bring the matter to him, which was why Thor could never know. "You will not tell Thor." He said clearly, and if he sounded timid before, Loki was growing back his confidence now.

He then murmured something to himself about this being a mistake, coming to Peter for help was a mistake. And Peter hated that — he hated that Loki even asked him for this. He hated that, disregard him knowing it was a bad idea, his turning Loki down would also mean breaking down whatever trust Loki had in him (if there was any. Peter wouldn't know) Especially after Peter spent a great amount of effort reassuring Loki he could count on him for anything. That was what friends did, they helped each other. And, after all, Peter could guess how much courage it must have taken Loki to ask the question.

(Peter didn't want to, not because it was too much a trouble for him but because he knew, for Loki's own good, this was only going to effect him in a negative way. Peter hated that Loki asked him this, knowing the one who would suffer from it was no one but Loki. But on the other hand, this was what Loki wanted. Or so Loki insisted)

"Fine," Peter said at last. Because Loki had been bugging and begging him for hours on end.

Loki looked as though he'd misheard that. "Fine?" He rose his eyebrows skeptically. "Fine... as in?"

"As in I won't tell Mister Thor," Peter was somewhat positive he might going to regret this. "And..." he sighed. "Fine. I'll help you,"

~~~

An hour later and here they were. This was... real. This was happening. Peter, standing behind, kept his eyes glued to Loki as though he was expecting his friend to breakdown at any moment (Peter was expecting just that) He couldn't see Loki's face, for Loki had his back turning towards him. But, from the tension in Loki's shoulders and the way he'd been staying rigid, barely breathing at all, with his hands a little bit shaking, Peter could tell this was hard for the self-proclaimed god. Harder than Peter thought, perhaps.

"If you wanna leave -"

"No." Loki cut him off without turning to look at him. His voice cracked, like he was fighting back tears. For an obvious reason, Peter suspected he'd see bloodshot eyes, if Loki were to turn around.