Capitolo Quattordici

"You deserve a break Apollonia. Please let me do this," Antonia pleaded with me. She wanted to take Daniele for the night so that I could get a break, I had been caring for him nonstop for the past several weeks.

"But Antonia I'm fine," I reassured the older woman. "He doesn't like to be away from me or Domenico for too long."

"I promise if he becomes fussy during the night I will bring him right back to you," my mother-in-law promised.

Daniele had become increasingly attached to me and had even taken to calling me 'mama.' Initially I was concerned about how Domenico would react to hearing that, but he just smiled and continued on with what he was doing. He smiled even more when his son called him 'daddy.'

"Okay I'll have Giovanna prepare his overnight bag" I finally relented.

"Grazi Apollonia," Antonia beamed as she showered her grandson in kisses. "Prego," I smiled back.

"Anyways you need a nice night in with Domenico," Antonia wiggled her eyebrows suggestively causing me to immediately spit out the iced tea that I had been drinking.

"I don't think he'll even be home tonight" I blushed looking anywhere but at my mother-in-law. "We haven't even ... done anything."

"Are you serious?" Antonia gasped. "Why on earth not?" She demanded. I could only shrug my shoulders, Domenico and I slept in the same bed but he never made any move to do anything except sleep. Sure I was frustrated but I couldn't throw myself at him.

"You two are both incredibly attractive young adults you should be locked up in your bedroom right now going at it," Antonia stated boldly.

"Mother!" Angela exclaimed. "That's inappropriate!"

"Oh hush Angela it is not," Antonia waved off her daughter. "It is a natural part of life, how do you think you got here?"

The Manzoni sisters could only roll their eyes at their mother's antics which she was famous for. No one could understand how Giacomo did not get embarrassed by her bold and often inappropriate behavior.

"I tell you what you do Apollonia," she started. "Make his favorite dish chicken parmigiana get some vintage red wine and I promise you, you will have him eating out of the palm of your hand." Apparently Antonia knew what she was talking about, I mean she did have six children.

"Promise me you'll try it," she said.

I relented and told her that I would give it a shot, even though I was almost positive it wouldn't work on my husband.