Capitolo Trentuno

"Hello Apollonia," my father said entering the hotel suite. When Domenico said that he was sending my father to Rome I thought I would at least have a few days to adjust to the idea of having him around. "I'm assuming your husband told you that I was coming here."

He walked farther into the suite followed by bodyguards I recognized from the many years I spent growing up on the DiMarco estate in Staten Island, New York. They gave me kind smiles and acknowledged me with simple nods of the head.

"Yes he just told me a few minutes ago," I answered shifting awkwardly from one foot to the other. "He told me this would only take a few weeks."

"Well we'll see about that," he took to pouring himself a drink at the bar. "Your husband pacifies you too much. Your mother knows everything that goes on in our world, whether she likes it or not."

"My husband tells me only what he thinks is necessary for me to know," I defended Domenico to my tyrant of a father. "Not that I have to explain anything to you." After saying that a cry echoes throughout the hotel suite that can only be from a newborn baby.

I entered the bedroom and held Christian, trying to soothe him back to sleep. If there is one thing that I learned from the past four months was that my new baby boy loved to be held. It was tiring but if it kept him quiet and happy then I would do it, much to the chagrin of Domenico who insisted that his young son 'toughen up.'

"Daddy wants to talk to you," Daniele said holding the phone out for me.

"Yes?" I asked bitterly, bouncing Christian up and down until he stopped crying and was snuggling into my sweater.

"I'm assuming your father has arrived?" My husband questioned.

"You would assume correctly," I responded. "He's already starting in on me and he's been here for five minutes."

"You're a tough girl Apollonia you'll be fine, and besides the boys are there to occupy your time. From the way Daniele was rambling on you won't be able to even here a word your father has to say to you."

"That's true," I sighed. "Are you sure this will only take a few weeks? I'm worried for you, I don't want you to get hurt."

"I promise Apollonia I will be fine," he reassured me. "Nothing is going to stop me from seeing you, the boys, and the new baby. Speaking of the new baby, don't get so stressed out. It isn't healthy for you and my new son."

"It's a girl and I'm fine," I smiled into the phone. It felt nice to talk like we did before he became so consumed in 'business.'

"Good," he took a puff of his cigarette. "I have to go now but I'll try to call to say goodnight." With that he hung up. 

"The husband?" My father appeared in the doorway, having taken off his black suit jacket and discarded it somewhere in the living room. I nodded in response holding Christian's tiny body closer to my own. "Is that my grandchild?" 

"Yes," I answered shortly. "His name is Christian."

"Well you managed to pop out a boy, good job Apollonia," my father took a seat on one of the beige leather chairs next to the window where he would have a clear view of myself as well as the boys. "How's the other one?" 

"The other one?" I scoffed. "His name is Daniele, and he is fine. He's right there." I nodded my head towards the little boy with the brown wavy hair that sat crosslegged in front of the television, completely unaware of the intimidating looking stranger sitting in the same room as him.

"He looks like Domenico," my father commented. "Same nose, same eyes, the same pissed off expression." 

"Domenico doesn't always look like that, he smiles sometimes." I murmured getting up to place Christian back into the portable crib. 

"How old are they?" My father stood up and walked over where I stood so that he could peer down at the tiny body wrapped in a white blanket. 

"Christian is four months and Daniele is four years old."

He nodded absentmindedly, "I imagine having another baby was not planned then?" 

I looked up at him masking my shocked expression. "What are you talking about?" 

"Don't play me for a fool Apollonia, I heard you on the phone with your husband. You're pregnant again."  

Check out my new story titled "Mafia Man" it's set in Chicago during the 1920's.