Chapter Six

The pride was silent on the way back to Pride Rock. Simba took the lead, with the lionesses in the middle and the cubs bringing up the rear, hanging their heads. Kopa kept his eyes on the ground, only taking an occasional glance at his friends to observe their expressions. They were as gloomy as his.
When Pride Rock came into sight in the distance, Simba halted while the lionesses kept walking back home. He shot Kopa a look that said stay there. The rest of the pride disappeared in the distance, leaving just Simba and Kopa.
Simba looked down at Kopa, frowning. A very shamed and nervous look washed across Kopa's face as he stirred the dirt with one of his front paws.
"Kopa, what were you thinking?" Simba asked calmly but sternly. "Why did you go in the Elephant Graveyard? You and the other cubs could have been killed. It's very dangerous there. Your mother and I have always told you not ever to go there, because when she and I were your age, we went there and were almost killed by three vicious hyenas."
Kopa stared at his paws. "I'm sorry, dad," he murmured. "I don't know what I was thinking. I won't do that again."
Simba cracked a small smile at him. "You have been forgiven, Kopa. You're a very good future-king, you know."
"Dad," Kopa asked, "is being king hard?"
Simba flicked his ear. "It's not overwhelmingly-difficult, usually. All it takes is a strong lion like you, along with braveness, dignity, and determination, as well as loyalty to your pride. We are one, you know."
Kopa cocked his head, perplexed. "What does that mean?" He asked.
Simba took a deep breath. "You see, Kopa, a lion pride is a unit. A strong unit; we lions are always there for each other, always loyal to each other, from the oldest lioness to the tiniest cub."
Kopa blinked, still a bit confused. What does he mean? He wondered.
Simba affectionately licked his back. "You'll understand someday," Simba said.