Twenty-One

Farley

There they are.  Kissing on camera.  Mare and Maven.  How can Mare do that to us?  How could she just forget us?  Betray us.  She of all people should know the taste of betrayal, but then like a boomerang, does it to us.  The Scarlet Guard.  The newbloods.  First Cal then Mare.  

All I can do is shake my head at this news, it makes me want to vomit, can't tell if that's from betrayal or being pregnant, it's probably both. 

At least Mare looks happy, I can give her that.  But it still stings.  Being betrayed twice in the same week.  Multiple times since we started fighting, but I won't stop, I will never stop.  Not until our world is back to what it once was all those years ago.  

All I can do is sit in front of the television, staring at whatever I was looking at, my vision blurred, swimming through my thoughts of pain and agony, but I couldn't show that, I need to remain strong, I need to continue forward through this battle.  I need to continue to stride so my child can have a bright future. 

Shade sits next to me; he doesn't seem as stirred as everyone else.  He wants what's best for Mare, his sister, his best friend, I have to respect that.  I can't help but clench my fists on my shirt, grasping it tight, of course, Shade notices my tension.

"Calm down, Farley," 

"Why should I?  Mare's the one making out with the king,"

"You should because it's better that way,"

That's when I lost it, I know Shade wants what's best for Mare, but it's not this.

"Why is it better that way? How is it better that way?" 

"Because she was miserable when we looked for newbloods, she hated it,"

"Why?"

"Because she couldn't be herself, she lost herself, along with her trust for anyone,"

I stay silent, not wanting our heated argument to burn. 

"Do you want Mare for our cause, or in the hands of a tyrant?"

Shade looks at me blankly.

"I believe she can change Maven to become part of our cause,"

"He was once, I won't let it happen again,"

"I know your heart is hurt, Farley, everyone's is right now, but I believe in Mare,"

"Pick a side, Shade, us or Mare,"

"Don't make me do this now, Farley, not now,"

I stay silent, loosening my intense gaze on him.  But I still am hurt.  The taste of utter betrayal hurts, stings, tastes like something rotten, and leaves you having a terrible stomach ache. 

"Shade?" 

All he does is look at me, that's all he can do. 

"Do you miss Mare?" 

I give him a little amount of sympathy, the last part I have in me.  He nods slowly and sadly.

"We will get Mare back, if it's the last thing I do,"

Maven

We walk back into our room after the whole camera bombardment that I didn't have planned, they'd just shown up.

It stressed Mare out, she has bad memories with cameras, she has the right to be.  I hope the surprise kiss calmed her; it must have.

She said she loved me. 

Didn't expect that.  She came around, she finally feels the same way I do.

She closed the door behind her, I turn to face her, in awe of her look.  Her olive skin, dark brown eyes, faded brown hair, a smile that makes the world smile too. 

We stare at each other in silence for a moment, just sighing and smiling.

"That camera charade was surprising," Mare breaks the silence, staring at me with her eyes of brown sugar. 

"Thought you'd like it," I say, shrugging a little, not breaking our gaze. 

"I did, thank you," She blushes lightly, and I love her for her red blush that complements my silver glaze.  We continue to stare at each other, her stare was sweet and loving, while I can guess mine was more lustful then hers.

She was so beautiful, no matter what she was wearing or what expression she had, she was born that way.  Her soft, honey-like skin, her brown eyes, her lips that tasted like sugarcane.

"Also, one quick question," I break the silence this time, it was my turn.

"Yes?" She rests her posture on one hip. 

"Did I earn that ring back yet?"

She looks down at her hand with the ring on it, bringing her agile hand to her view.  She looked at it for a moment, I couldn't help but stare at how perfectly it fit her.  

"Yeah, you earned it," She winks at me and walks up to me, fumbling to take it off.  She holds out her hand with the ring in her palm. 

"You can hold onto it if you want," 

She drops her hand, holding onto the ring in her fist.  She walks up to me fully, inches away from me.  She takes her free hand and pulls my neck down. 

Her sweet lips meet mine; she never fails to take me by surprise. 

Once we break free, she smiles sweetly, I copy her grin.

"Here, this ring is meant for your Queen," Her smile fades, she holds out her hand sadly. 

"Mare, I want you to be my Queen,"

The silence fell in between us, but it's much more awkward.  She doesn't know what to say, but I understand, she needs time. 

"That sounds lovely, Maven," She doesn't meet my eyes, she stares at the floor, or the ring, or both. 

"Mare?"

She looks up at me with welled eyes.

"You don't have to say anything now, I get it,"

I walk away, it's all I can do.

"Maven, wait,"

I turn my head back, looking at her.

"I'm sorry I'm doing this to you,"

"Don't be, Mare, you need time, that I can give you,"

She looks at me, her eyes wanting me to comfort her, but I fear if I do, she'll push me away again.

"I can't make you my Queen, that's up to you."