Chapter 8.

(Husk's POV)

'Hey Husk!' Y/N ran up to me, waving her arms rather enthusiastically. She placed her elbows on the table I was leaning against,
'How about we go do something, you know,' she nudged me, 'friend bonding time.'

I stared at her for a moment, unable to comprehend why she would want to spend time with me; sparing the awkward conversation this might lead to, I shrugged.

'Oh, come on! You said you liked to go gardening, so let's go gardening!' Y/N suggested, she gave me a playful grin, her dimples crinkling.

'Well, I suppose, I cou-'

'Perfect! Let's go there right now, we can do a spot of gardening, I used to do that in my human life.' She took me by my paw, forcing me to get up and follow her to the garden.

She attempted to make idle chatter with me to the garden, although the journey to the backyard was rather long for the fact that she didn't quite know how to get there, I chuckled at her endeavours to get to the backyard.

'What are you laughing at?' Y/N glared at me accusingly.

'Nothing,' I dismissed her concerns as I switched the subject to the garden, since we were here.

'Wow! I didn't really expect the yard to be this well maintained, but the flowers and plants are blooming and growing,' Y/N kneeled over a patch of particularly brightly coloured tulips, examining their kaleidoscopic petals with great interest.

Smiling slightly at her antics, I fetched a watering can from a shelf that hung from the overlooking roof and sat on the grass, so I was level with her current height. I poured water over the flowers since they were due for their daily watering session.

'Never thought you of all people would take care of the plants,' Y/N teased me while getting up to explore the rest of the garden.

'Yeah, caring for little things helps my sanity,' I rubbed the fur at the back of my neck.

'That's something I never knew about you, kitty,' she gave me a sidewards glance as she headed to the daisies in the middle of the garden.

'Ah, my mother used to make daisy chains with me, it was an art I couldn't quite master when I was alive.'

I coughed slightly, 'you can pick some if you want, we, I mean you, can make daisy chains. If you want, of course.'

'Would I!' She exclaimed, picking a few fully grown daisies to make into chains, seemingly oblivious to the pink dusted on my cheeks. Y/N sat cross legged on the grass next to the patch and started weaving the flowers in and out of each other. Fumbling with the delicate daisies, she managed to get a small chain going until it became unraveled again.

Frustration flicked across her face for a moment before she started once more, a more determined look as her eyebrows furrowed to quite a degree. Meanwhile, I picked my own daisies to create a daisy chain and sat next to her in the same pose, I managed to feed each daisy through one another quite efficiently as my claws winded the stems around.

Y/N watched in awe as I was able to create a daisy chain in a matter of minutes.
'How come you can do it?'

She shuffled closer to me, our knees almost touching,
'I'll show you.'

She handed me her chain, I demonstrated how to do it so it wouldn't unravel constantly. Her eyes lit up as I finished part of my explanation.

'Thanks Husk. I think I've got it now.'
Y/N continued to make the daisy chain, heeding my advice and so finished it rather quickly; she held the chain up proudly in front of me as she bounced around in anticipation for my reply.

I inspected it, noting every detail and flaw, 'it's decent, but this stem is sticking out in an unnatural stance, you've bent it too much.'

Y/N stared at me with such disbelief it brought a smile to my face as she started to stutter, explaining why her work wasn't 'up to scratch'.

'I'm just messing with you.' I interrupted her clause, while she tried to even grasp the concept.
'You big mean cat.' Y/N turned away from me, her back facing me and, from what I could see, crossing her arms. However her attempt to look disgruntled was in vain by the way her shoulders heaved with laughter.

'Well, since you think my work isn't satisfactory, I guess I won't giving this daisy chain to you, like I planned.'
I was astonished she would even think about such a gesture, and to withhold it from me no less, it astounded me, the sheer audacity of this girl.

Starting to fret, 'I didn't mean it.'

'I'm just messing with you.' Y/N said in a low tone, mimicking my voice and earlier clause. She turned to face me, her expression reminiscent of a smug demon. I was about to object to her behaviour until she fumbled with the daisy chain, my focus being withdrawn from her to the object. She kneeled higher to reach the top of my head and wrapped the chain around the band of my hat.

Touched by the simple gesture, I remained speechless for a moment before I heard Charlie call out from the entrance of the hotel. She was waving her arms enthusiastically, which seemed to be a normal occurrence for her, nearly hitting a nearby Vaggie in the face while doing so.

'Y/N! There you are! Do you want to go shopping with us?' Charlie offered, my smile dropping to a grimace as I realised my time with Y/N was swiftly coming to an end.

'Sure!' She got up, glimpsing at me to gauge my reaction to the situation, 'is it ok if I go Husk?'

I grumbled incoherent words, averting my eyes from her as I somehow nodded faintly. Y/N grinned at me, thanking me as she ran to Charlie to commence their shopping trip. Sighing, I felt the cold wind tickle my whiskers, an uncomfortable sensation that I failed to recognise while with Y/N, the cold weather was nipping at my nose now, threatening it with more harsh gusts.

I shivered, looking down at the daisy chain that I neglected in my paws, turning it around using my claws.
I wanted to give this to Y/N.

Using a nearby ledge, I pulled myself up, taking the chance to drop the chain in the abundance of grass that laid before me. The wind carried the daisy chain, the flimsy object being thrown to and fro in the control of the breeze, at the mercy of the strong gusts. It was soon thrown over the garden wall to god knows where.

Once again, I attempted to seize the opportunity, it slipped through my paws.