Chapter 16: Meetings with Stakeholders, Playing in the Cove, and Camping Out

Authors's note: While I've chosen Naomi Scott's song  from Aladdin ("Speechless") to become the anthem for this chapter since it  fits with the story of Deandra not willing to let her voice perish, I think "Defying Gravity" from Wicked would work well too. Also, any song with strong message of rebellion and defiance would fit the overall vibe.

"You are going to call a meeting with your parents and their staffs? That's awesome! But do you know where to begin? Like, if your dad asks what your plan would be once you declare your rejection of this mining company life, what would you say?" Ayumi was delighted and yet worried. Kahoko asked a similar question, only differed in that she asked what the young woman would do if the dad thought that the rejection was due to an outside influence and not entirely motivated by a desire to be a rebel. Deandra breathed in and looked at everyone with resolve.

"I don't want to be tongue tied, so I'd need to research my talking points first but I know that I'm through with accepting the status quo just because all my life I was told to be seen and not heard. I want to speak out. I want to bring up how the mining company would be bad for the Golden Valley residents at large, for the native animals and plants, the farmlands, and then some. As for the fact that my dad might think that this has to do with my relationship with Ayumi, technically he's not wrong. I care a great deal about you, Ayumi, and you care about your homeland, so what you care about by extension I will also care about. If he can't see that, then it's his loss."

True to Deandra's fiery words, a few days after the confrontation at the izakaya Kahoko was welcoming Mr. and Mrs. Milton to the guesthouse, along with other dignified guests. They gathered in the same conference room Lee had used to give a lecture a while ago and the students were also in attendance as observers—that means they had no right to intervene, only to listen.

"Mom, dad, and esteemed guests of honors, we gather today to discuss my stance on whether or not to take the promotion and become the next CEO. My stance is clear, I would have to decline the promotion. My decision is final and I would suggest dad not try to coax me. If you have any question about my declining the post, today is your chance to direct it to me." Deandra started.

"Are you out of your mind, Deandra? I'm guaranteeing you a good life and you're casting everything aside and for what? Have I not given you all you could have ever wanted? I've raised you and this is how you thank me? Petulant child! Explain yourself, now!" Mr. Milton roared.

Unfazed, Deandra looked at him in the eyes. "I'm still your daughter, dad, but my mind is not yours to play with anymore. I've broken out of the shackles you've tried to constraint me with. First, let me say that your mining company is responsible for water and air pollution. No one has filed a claim against you because they know you have lawyers and attorneys who can back you up, but if no one is stepping up and suing you once I present my case then I'm going to sue you even if I lose. You've contaminated the once pristine air and water with smog and all the volatile combustible compounds and don't you know that it can cause cardiovascular diseases and cancer? You treat human lives as if they are expendables! Secondly, do you know how many habitats your mining business has fragmented? Have you ever actually analyzed the mandatory environmental assessment report and risk factors evaluation or did you gloss over it each time?"

"This is not how your dad and I raise you, Deandra. In life, there are winners and losers. We are winners, we take all we can take. Those who don't have our privileges should work harder to be in our position. Take your misguided pity elsewhere. If they can't beat us, join us." Mrs. Milton defended her husband and chided her daughter, an air of haughtiness evident in her voice.

"Don't take my concern for the environment and humanity as weakness. Your apathy to human conditions, however, that is gonna be your downfall! I get that you don't care about keeping Golden Valley residents healthy, then how about this? The beauty of the village is what attract tourists and boost the local economy. If you go ahead with your plan of bringing our mining headquarter here, then you're going to destroy the tourism industry on top of causing environmental destruction. Are you ready to be responsible for that?" Deandra retorted.

Looking For Hopeजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें