Chapter 8: Sociocultural Lectures, Nardhia's Come Back, and A Party

Authors' remark: this chapter is dedicated to one of my followers, The Fallen1ne. We had an exchange of ideas about the nature of relationships, how they are give and take, and how forgiving someone doesn't necessarily imply you're going to let them back into your life. This chapter also contains a reference to the late Indonesian literary legend, Sapardi Djoko Damono. Yes, my story is set in the very distant future but I would like to think that his works will never be obsolete. After all, if Chairil Anwar could say in his poem that he wanted "to live for another thousand years", then Sapardi's legacy might as well be timeless. I want to highlight Nardho's Indonesian side. As we progress we will see more of his Papua New Guinean side (which I need to research more since I've never been there). By the way, the Little Trees tribe mentioned in this chapter is partly inspired by real tribes in Indonesia called Baduy Luar and Baduy Dalam.

Lastly, this chapter would be more fun if you listen to Jar of Hearts first.

                                                                                            ------------

Moira's head stayed on Nardho's chest for a lingering moment before she finally pulled away. The two were quiet, still processing the fact that they were now a step above just friendship.

"Nardho, I don't know much about religions, but when did you start becoming religious?"

"I've always been, it's just that I'm pretty reserved about it. Not many people worship anything anymore, you know? Plus, it's not my place to tell people how to live. I just want to love and be loved, which is why I'm glad I will get to explore a new relationship with you. I want to know what love really is, how it begins, how it blossoms, and how it makes you feel belong."

"How do you know when you are in love with someone? What is love? How do you usually express love?" Moira wondered aloud, not sure what to expect from Nardho now that they were officially a couple. Nardho thought for a minute and finally said that there are many different types of love, like the one he had for Nardhia and for his parents and Mother Mary, but he was not sure yet what to call the feelings he had for Moira. It was more than just butterflies, which was pretty much all he knew at this point. Moira nodded, looking at him with newfound admiration. Nardho looked back with a tender expression.

"If and once I fall hopelessly and desperately in love with you, Moira, I want to make it real simple. I want to love you simply, with all the words that are left unsaid by the woods as the fire turns them into ashes." Nardho sighed with a sense of yearning.

"That's really poetic. I didn't know you can be such a poet. What does it mean, though?"

"I'm not a poet, I was quoting a line from a poem of bygone days from my great-great grandpa's culture. It just means that I would be willing to protect you and to sacrifice some things to be with you because when I finally am in love with you I figure you will be such a huge part of my life that I can't imagine having it any other way. For now, though, let's enjoy spending time together and taking care of each other."

"Are we going to tell the others or just keep it between the two of us?"

"Oh, we will tell them. But with Nardhia, though, let's not shove it in her face. Also, I know she probably told you that I have a bad temper and will fight to defend her when provoked or something, but honestly now that we are in college I can't keep on being a knight in a shining armor. I know she'd always think of me as her hero, but now I'd like her to learn how to solve her own problems. I'd still be here if she needs me, like a brother should, but that's all."

Moira and Nardho made their way back to campus, hand in hand, talking about their classes and their first impression of college life so far. When they reached Nardho's room, they were met with an unfamiliar sight. A student they've never seen before was installing a dry erase board on Nardho's door. They couldn't be another resident assistant now, could they? Moira thought.