Chapter 3

Lucy walked back to the orphanage in silence. She wanted so badly to walk with Gru, but she wasn't ready to share this part of her life with him. She didn't want to be just thought of as an orphan. When people found out about that part of her life, they got scared away. She couldn't lose her only friend.

She was so lost in thought that she wasn't looking where she was going.

"Hey!"

She had walked right into another person. Dazed, she stepped back.

"Sorry! I-" She stopped.

It was him. That boy. He was looking right at her.

"Hey, I have a class with you." He commented, smiling.

"Uh huh." She stammered. "Biology, first period."

"What's your name?" He asked.

"L-Lucy." She squeaked.

"Well, I'll see you around Lucy."

He walked away, a crowd of guys was waiting for him a few feet away. She stared, mouth open. She couldn't believe what had just happened.

The next morning, Lucy couldn't stop staring at the back of his head.  She smiled to herself.  Even the back of his head was dreamy.

"Lucy?" She heard.

She jerked her head up.

"What? What'd I miss?" She asked, looking at Gru.

He sighed, looking over at what he knew she had been focused on.

"Nothing.  I just figured this one out, and I thought you'd want to see." He mumbled, pushing his paper toward her.

"Sorry, Gru." She apologized. "I'll do the next one, okay?"

The rest of the day went by in a blur. In gym class, Gru kept passing her the ball, and she kept missing, until eventually, it hit her straight in the gut. She doubled over.

"Sorry! Sorry!" He apologized. She could see the genuine concern on his face.

"No, you're fine. I should have payed better attention." She admitted.

Coach let out class early and they all went back to the locker rooms.

"I'll meet you out here, okay?" Gru said, heading to the boy's locker room.

Lucy took forever to get dressed, until eventually, she was the last girl left in the locker room. As she tied her shoe, she heard a noise behind her. She turned her head.

"Hey," he said.

"Rod!" She stood up too fast and felt the room spin. "W-What are you doing here?"

"Looking for you, silly." He said, coming up to her.

She stepped back.

"In the locker room?" She said.  Her words trailed off as his face came close to hers.  She couldn't believe he was this close to her.

Then his hand slipped down.

She jerked back.

"What-" she stammered, trying to get away.

"Come on," he said, grabbing her again.  "What's the matter?"

"Please, stop." She whispered.

He just smiled.

She kicked him and broke free, running out of the locker room as fast as she could go.

Gru looked at his watch.  The bell had already rung, but he wasn't leaving without her.  They could be late together.  Just then, he saw her dart out of the locker room.  She was crying.

"Lucy!" He called.  Then he saw that guy step out.  Gru's eyes widened.  Rod gave him a smirk, then sauntered down the hallway.  Gru turned to run after Lucy.

"Mr. Gru, you're late." Coach said, from behind him. "I'm walking you to your next class."

Gru tried to see where she had gone, but he was pulled into his 8th period and the door was closed.  He sat down, everyone looking at him, but he didn't care.  He looked up at the clock.  Time couldn't move fast enough.

So... when I said that this was going to be like super fluffy, trust me when I say that that was my intention.  But then I got a bunch of angsty ideas and now here we are.  I hope you guys are enjoying it!  If you read a chapter, I would LOVE it if you would give it a vote as well!