Chapter One

Ten years later, after the war ended...

A young, handsome SkyWing stood in the center of the pit. His scarlet red scales never shone in the light, for it was too dark for the sun to ever reach him. He lurked in the hole of despair, wondering what the world outside would be like.

In the corner, there were several essential items to aid his IceWing guardian, who had sacrificed so much to keep the SkyWing alive.

"Soaren?" Hvitur croaked from the other side of the pit.

Soaren darted for the items in the corner and quickly snatched a bottle at the very back. He rushed to him and plucked open the bottle cap before handing it to Hvitur.

The injured IceWing gratefully took the bottle from him and drank from it, as Soaren dabbed a wet cloth on Hvitur's wounds.

"Thank you,"

Soaren smiled. "Don't need to thank me. You don't deserve to be in this condition, no one does. I just don't understand why dragons could ever be so cruel..."

He noticed Hvitur wince when he said that, and felt a jab of pity for him just by looking at him in pain. "...but that's all over, at least, I hope it is." He tried to continue.

The IceWing sat up, placing the empty bottle next to him and sighed. "No, dragons still kill each other. Gruesome battles and lots of death was only the beginning—"

"'Was'?"

"Well, that was about two or three years ago, but some dragons today still do things that are just unacceptable and some had a change of heart—"

"And some were already nice to begin with," Soaren rolled his eyes.

Hvitur forced out a friendly chuckle, but his face darkened with concern and looked directly at Soaren with one blind eye. "One day, you will need to fight for your life, little one. Everyone believed you have died as an egg, if they found out that the 'wings of sky' is actually still alive and in hiding, moons-know-what will happen to you. Just keep that in mind."

The SkyWing stayed silent, deep in thought.

There must be a better way than violence... if I did get into a fight, should I attack? But I don't think I will be leaving this pit anytime soon. On the other talon, it could mean that I'm finally leaving this pit and seeing the world.

I wonder what other dragons would be like. Will they attack me at first sight? Will they greet me warmly? What if there aren't any dragons beyond this pit after all, and it's just swarming with scavengers?

Hvitur always had a strange way of describing them to me. Oh, what if when I leave this pit, I meet a scavenger who tries to run away because it'll think I want to eat it? Oh, oh, what if it tries to attack me—?

"Soaren?" Hvitur said, interrupting Soaren's carried-away thoughts before it'll lead him to questioning about his survival of Burn's murdering wrath.

"Yes?"

Hvitur attempted to stand up, grunting as he did. Soaren helped him up with pleasure. His scales with radiating heat warmed the ice dragon's cold scales.

"Can I ask you a question?" The SkyWing said.

Hvitur nodded curiously as Soaren stared at the scar that blinded one of his eyes.

"Ok, so I've been wanting to ask you this for a long time, but...how did you get all those severe injuries? It's ok, you don't have to answer straight away...or at all. I'll understand."

The IceWing sighed and sat back down again. "No, no, it's alright. I think it's about time you learn what happened in the past, little one."

Soaren sat down next to him. "I'm listening."

First Chapter is up! This is definitely shorter than the last one but I still hope it's got you a little more interested in this FanFiction!

-BookDragon

-625 words in the actual chapter

(Published 27/08/2020)