32: Blossoming

By the time you and Akutagawa have made it outside, you have already been threatened at least 5 times by him and begun to think this will be your last mission with him; assuming you won't be making it alive after all. Though most of it is due to his temper with you, you know the reason why it's graver than usual is because you had stepped over a line earlier. Spending almost a full month working with him and subconsciously using the observation Dazai engraved in your mind while on a job, you were slowly learning the tendencies of Akutagawa's moods, his habits when working with others, and the few things he ever reacted to with other than anger. You know exactly what to say to shut him down, but of course that led to the consequences that he was beginning to be able to read you pretty well too.

The both of you have unintentionally learned what makes the other tick.

That said, working with him has been completely different to anyone else in the Port Mafia you've worked by. Of course, working with him is very different from working with Chuuya for obvious reasons that you are sure even Akutagawa notices. Now, unlike Dazai, Akutagawa has no second agenda, no secrets entwined in his words or any sweet lies. He is what he says he is. In some aspects, you actually understand his motives more than anyone else's, and though the mafia's prized dog is undoubtedly violent, short-tempered and quick to show his distaste with physical force, Akutagawa does not leave you with any underlying guilt.

Even with the unease you feel around him you've been trying to overcome, some aspects of him have become a curiosity of yours.

He hardly raises a hand at me anymore either, despite his aggression.

I can't remember the last time he tried...

"[f/n], let's go." Akutagawa calls to you and you pull yourself out of your thoughts, the two of you beginning to walk side by side reluctantly, the wind rising and smell of the Port waters closer as you walk in that direction for your mission.

I don't think I'll ever properly get used to being his partner...

The day's weather is moderately cold, the days growing shorter as the fall months approach before dissolving into Yokohama's winter. Admittedly, for the weather, you aren't very well dressed, leaving your trench coat in your room though you wear a grey long sleeved blouse and long dark pants. You feel the cool air through your shirt, shivering slightly. Akutagawa on the other hand is perfectly fine in his usual attire, not even looking in your direction. Still, you don't mind the temperatures, since to you it just means that you're alive and free.

"What are you doing?" Akutagawa suddenly asks you, finally turning to meet your [e/c] eyes, his expression looking more annoyed by the second.

"What are you talking about?"

"You keep looking at me."

"...oh...sorry."

"Tsk."

The silence returns, the only thing heard being your footsteps as the sight of the Port is finally clear, you and Akutagawa running across until you've made it behind a large cargo ship.

The mission today was one of the easier ones you two have been on as of late, though if you started arguing again, it was bound to go wrong as usual. This time, you two had to infiltrate one of the ships leaving the port with stolen items from and important to the Port Mafia, and destroy the ship enough for it to be unable to leave the docks. Once you two got rid of the crew, the men commanded by Akutagawa, including Higuchi, would be waiting close by the docks to pick up the shipment for the mafia.