06 | THE SEARCH FOR ANSWERS

ღ

LAUDON'S POV

Maggie Brumfield is an enigma.

She is a unique character, quite the special case, who continues to play the lead role in every one of Laudon's thoughts, the good and the bad.

When Laudon answered the call from Brinton Forest, he had no idea the blood on the ground would lead him to the house of the human girl that spoke to him earlier in the night. It is a wonder how he kept his sanity while waiting for her inside her bedroom. Her sweet scent covered every inch of the room, and it only got stronger when she showed up in person.

Laudon barely contained himself from getting drunk off Maggie.

Most of his energy from that night had gone towards keeping himself composed while informing Maggie about the consequences of what she had done regarding the dummy ritual. And perhaps Laudon could have been nicer towards her. After all, she was visibly confused, frightened, and unfortunately, had to find out the hard way that evil actually does exist.

Maybe Laudon would have toned down the malevolence, partly a defense mechanism, had Maggie's aura not turned him into a flustering mess on the inside. Something he will never admit to happening.

In the end, he did what needed to be done to get the two of them out of that room.

Finally back in Hell, Laudon continues his search for answers with the help of Zul. He had initially wanted to keep Maggie all to himself, his own dirty little secret, until he realized two heads are better than one. The sooner he gets answers, the sooner he'll understand why he feels such a way towards the extraordinary human girl.

"We have so many books down here that we could fill all of earth's libraries twice over," Laudon says. "The answer has to be in one of them."

"I am certain your optimism will lead us to the book that we need." Zul chuckles. He gladly helps the prince with his search because, partly, Zul knows he is at fault for Laudon's current predicament with Maggie.

All Laudon had wanted was a break from Hell.

Normally, a top-tier demon answers the calls that come from Brinton Forest. Demons of this rank are allowed to roam Edreial to do Lucifer's bidding. Mid-tier demons are only free to roam Hell while also carrying out certain tasks for Lucifer, Laudon, and Zul. Low-tier demons are borderline slaves. They can never leave Hell, and whatever crummy task they are given it is expected of them to complete it without complaint.

Top-tier demons, the ones with the most freedom, are the most manipulative and ruthless of their kind. By any means necessary, they fulfill the tasks given to them, hence why Lucifer entrusts them with carrying out his most complex requests on Edreial. But then Zul, having tried to help his prince unwind, suggested that Laudon answer the call from Brinton Forest instead.