33 | THE SACRIFICE, PART 1

ღ

MAGGIE'S POV

Johnny spent another day in the hospital before being officially released.

Like we all had assumed, the doctor couldn't understand how his broken body had completely healed itself overnight. Johnny told me how multiple tests were run on him, and that he had to take a shit ton of scans to see if anything would produce any answers. At the end of it all, his doctor nor his parents could come up with an explanation regarding his spontaneous recovery.

They had no choice but to label it a glorious miracle and finally release him.

"Back from another date with Samuel?" Gregg asks in a singsongy tone, teasing me after I step inside the house. I playfully smack him on the back of the head after stopping behind the couch. "Ow! It was just a question. No need to resort to violence as a comeback."

"If you must know, I actually spent the afternoon with Krista and Johnny. Samuel and I didn't end up working out." I frown upon saying his name.

"Sorry, sis. I didn't know..." Gregg replies, giving me a sympathetic look. "Did he break it off or did you? Because if he did it and you want me to kick his ass then just say the word."

I smile, shaking my head. "It was me who ended things. I'm the bad guy."

"Then all jokes aside, if you ever want to talk about it, you know I'm here for you."

"Thanks, Gregg. Love you."

"I love you too, sis."

I head upstairs feeling like complete garbage. Not only am I a trash person for having ghosted Samuel, even though it was for his own protection, but I'm basically a killer... or at least I will be after I contact Laudon to tell him about my new target.

That's what I did today with Johnny and Krista, went out and stalked the poor soul who'll soon take my spot in Hell. His name is James Anderson. He is eighty-two years old, a retired college professor, and a widow. I found out about him while Johnny had still been in the hospital. James suffers from some rare type of cancer, and after his latest stay in the hospital due to a slip and fall at home, his doctor and family came to the difficult decision that it was time he be moved into hospice care.

I can't put into words just how dirty I felt eavesdropping outside his hospital room, or how terrible I felt about invading his privacy by sneaking a peek at his chart to get his address while he'd been using the restroom. I have no clue if this man has any demons in his past or not, figuratively speaking. For all I know, he could've lived life like a saint. My bracelet lit up around him, so I'm guessing the latter is spot on. Either way, we crossed paths, and now I have to get rid of him before his disease does. 

"Laudon, I don't know if you can hear me, but I need to speak with you," I whisper after locking myself in my bedroom. "It's about the ritual. I found someone who—"