Chapter 5

Edited

Alex's POV

An aroma of eggs and bacon filled my room, causing my eyes to pounce open. The savorous smell made my stomach roar alive and flip a 'get moving' switch on my legs.

Dragging myself down the hall, I collided heads with someone and tumbled to the floor.

"Ow," I whined, rubbing my forehead.

"Sorry," Elias's raspy voice croaked. I smiled softly to myself at the sound of his morning voice. I wasn't sure what was sexier though, his raspy voice or Austin without a shirt.

He walked past us with a pair of jeans on, exposing his chiseled body as if he just walked out of a men's health magazine. Standing behind me, he grabbed my arms and lifted me to my feet.

"Be careful," he chuckled, ruffling my already messy hair. Elias mumbled something under his breath as he rubbed his forehead. I smiled, still trying to adjust my eyes.

"Thanks," I yawned. Austin smiled reassuringly before going downstairs. Elias and I stood in silence, before bursting into laughter.

"Sorry," he apologized again, chuckling.

"It's okay. Are you guys going swimming?" I asked, looking him up and down. His eyes were masked with black razors with a white v-neck that hung over his grey board shorts.

"Yep. Want to come?"

"Sure! I'll meet you guys downstairs," I smiled before going back into my room. Locking the door, I went into Sam's bag and pulled out a pair of short, black board shorts and a matching bikini top. After changing, I went downstairs to find everyone dressed and eating.

"Good morning," I greeted, taking a piece of toast. Everyone mumbled their good morning between bites. I looked around to see Sam and Chris were missing. "Where're the lovebirds?" I asked.

"They're already at the lake,"Tyler mumbled. Lexi was sitting on his lap since there were no more seats left. They were adorable. I stood between Elias and Austin, leaning against the marble counter while I finished my toast.

"Well, I'm done. I'll meet you guys outside," I said, heading out the back door. I watched as Chris carried Sam on his back before throwing her into the water. They were one of the lucky ones. Their relationship was flawless and unbreakable. I couldn't imagine a life with them being apart. They were the James Dean and Audrey Hepburn of Clairmont High.

"Boo!"Elias whispered into my ear.I spiked into the air in terror. This boy was going to give me a heart attack.

"Seriously?" I glared at him. He nodded in satisfactory, chuckling to himself. I rolled my eyes and continued walking towards the lake.

"Do you like swimming?" He asked, a mischievous grin spreading across his face.

"Uh, yeah,"I replied confused. Without hesitation, Elias slithered his arm around my waist and pulled me over his shoulder.

"Elias Rios! Put me down!" I shrieked as I punched his back.

"Ow! Easy there, babe," he laughed.

I kept kicking until I felt a rush of cool water spread over my body. I was at peace with the silence of being under water. It lulled all my senses, until a memory I tried so hard to repress managed to rip through the surface of my memories. A pool. Me sitting at the deep end watching the sun ripple through the water. All my senses numbed. I almost took the Reaper's hand, but i reached for my cousin's instead. Her warm skin pulled me back to reality. I was sitting in a nightmare and she pulled me out. She pulled me out because I couldn't.