Chapter Thirty-four

__Shadow groaned as he slowly opened his eyes. His vision was blurry for a bit before it cleared. He saw that he was in his room and tucked in his own bed. He looked around and saw that in the opened drawer at his dresser both Navi and Milo were sleeping on the egg. He then looked over at his computer desk and saw that the photo of him, Maira, and the professor was sitting on it while the broken glass and frame was in the trash. Is Sonic still here?
__He tried moving his shoulders but everything was sore so he didn't feel like moving. He growled in frustration as he looked at the chao. "Navi! Milo!" He hissed.
__Both chao perked up and looked at Shadow. They let out a happy cheer as they flew over and started hugging his face. Milo had been rubbing his cheek on Shadow's while Navi just give him kisses. Shadow had to shake his head to get them off of him.
__"All right, all right," He rasped. "Where's Sonic? Go get him."
__Milo was the first to fly out of the room and Navi quickly flew after him. It took several minutes for them to come back. They had immediately went back to the egg. After a few seconds, Sonic had slowly walked into the room. He was holding a shopping bag in his right hand. When he saw that Shadow was awake he set the bag on the computer desk and ran over to hug him. Shadow had grunted before he sighed and started to enjoy the blue hedgehog's warmth.
__Sonic had pulled away and looked at Shadow. "How you feeling?"
__"Fine, I guess." Shadow started moving his shoulders again. "Can you get this off me?"
__Sonic nodded and pulled the sheets off of Shadow. He then grinned as he helped Shadow sit up. "You nearly wasted all of your energy."
__"I said I'm fine," Shadow muttered. He then looked at Sonic and returned his grin. "What about you?"
__"I'm all right."
__Shadow then looked out the window. "What about that dragon? Why was she there?"
__"I wanted to make sure we had another getaway just in case," Sonic replied awkwardly. "Dulcy happened to to have a free enough schedule to help me. She actually helped get you back here before she left."
__"Huh." Shadow looked back at Sonic before resting his head on his shoulder. "You said you wanted to tell me something before?"
__"Oh, yeah," Sonic giggled and pressed his face against Shadow's head. "I wanted to tell you I love you, but you beat me to it," he grumbled playfully.
__"Really?" Shadow tittered. He then looked over at the bag on the desk. "What's that?"
__"Oh!" Sonic pulled away from Shadow and went to get the bag. He dug his hand in it and pulled out a newly purchased dark brown frame. It was made out of metal and had golden leaves painted all around it's perimeter. Sonic then grabbed the photo and carefully put it in the frame before giving it to Shadow. "I saw that you just kept your broken photograph on the floor, so I bought you a new one."
__"What?" Shadow grabbed the newly framed photo and examined it. The frame felt clean and it was satisfying to run his fingers along the golden leaves. He then looked at the picture, examining Maria and Gerald with no emotion. When he saw himself he didn't know what he was feeling. This Shadow would have no idea what lay ahead of him in life.
__"Why was it broken?" Sonic asked, bringing Shadow away from his thoughts.
__Shadow had clenched the photograph in his hands as he flattened his ears. "I was so mad at her that I threw it at the wall and broke it."
__"Aw," Sonic grinned and shook his head.
__"Why'd you buy a new one?" Shadow asked him. "I was just going to hide this again."
__"Well," Sonic looked nervous as he looked away. "Your sentimental value for it is obviously big, but I kinda have some value for this, too."
__"Why?"
__"I gave you that photo," Sonic reminded. "I remember seeing your eyes light up when I gave it to you. That was the most valuable thing to me."
__Shadow made a small smile as he turned at set the photograph down on the nightstand. He then turned back to look at Sonic. "There's something else I want to tell you."
__"What is it?" Sonic had tilted his head.
__Shadow had gently put the tip of his pointer finger on Sonic's nose, making him straighten up. "You."
__"Huh?" Sonic's face had turned red.
__"I choose you," Shadow said confidently. "I can finally say it now."
__Sonic had smiled and put both of his hands on Shadow's, gently pulling it away from his face down to his chest. "You're unbelievable."
__"It's the truth."
__Shadow's ears then perked when he heard cracking. Both hedgehogs looked towards the dresser and saw that Navi and Milo had moved away as the egg continued to crack. A bright light shined as the egg disappeared and a baby chao curled up had took its place. The baby chao had slowly straightened and yawned before she opened her eyes. Navi had immediately hugged her baby and started singing while Milo just smiled as he put his hand on the baby's head.
__Sonic started giggling and he went to hug Shadow. "Those two will be happy together. We will, too."
__Shadow narrowed his eyes and smiled warmly. He grabbed Sonic's chin and forced him to look at him. "Say those three words."
__Sonic chuckled as he made a big smile. "I love you."
__Shadow wrapped his arms around Sonic tightly and started to lightly kiss Sonic's cheek. "Say it again."
__Sonic began to rub his hands along Shadow's back as Shadow began kissing his neck. "I love you."
__"Yes." Shadow felt that he was slowly gaining his energy back. He took this chance to kiss Sonic on the lips and slowly pinned him down on the bed. He continued to move his lips slowly, enjoying the sounds Sonic made. He placed his hands on Sonic's side and felt him twitch when touched a certain spot. Shadow had never felt this much heat and excitement, and he was loving every second of it. "I love you, too."
__Sonic then laughed as he pushed Shadow's face away from him. "Come on, Shadow! We have a newborn baby here!"
__Shadow had taken Sonic's hands off of his face and smirked. "She's not going to remember anything." He leaned his head in and started kissing Sonic again.
__Sonic continued to laugh while trying to push Shadow away. "Shadow! Not in front of the chao!"
__"Ugh, fine." Shadow leaned back and looked at the chao as he pointed at the door. "Navi, go." He watched Navi fly out of the room with the baby trying to fly after her while Milo stayed behind her.
__Once they were gone Shadow leaned back down to Sonic but hesitated as he looked at the photograph. The smile on Maria's face had suddenly brought Shadow's attention. It all became clear to him now. Thank you, Maria. If it weren't for you I wouldn't be here in the first place.
__"Shadow?" Sonic had gently put a hand on Shadow's face, caressing it ever so lightly.
__Shadow looked at Sonic and smiled. He began to slowly kiss Sonic again. He wrapped his arms around him and enjoyed this warmth.

__Months went by. Shadow, Rouge, and E-123 Omega were back in G.U.N., but they weren't agents. Shadow was now the commander of G.U.N. with Rouge as his lieutenant and E-123 Omega as their closest guard. The soldiers that followed Nate were still here, but once Shadow was commander he had them do a lot of work and missions to make up for it. Shadow and his friends had made sure that the agency was led to greatness.
__Shadow had actually brought himself to get closer to the other Freedom Fighters as well. He didn't want to admit it, but he felt more lively having more people to call his friends.
__Nathaniel still sits in prison. He had been sentenced their to life for negotiating and working along side Dr. Eggman and for trying to get Shadow killed with the bombs. Shadow couldn't think of anything better than imagining the mobian tiger rot in jail.
__The newborn chao had been given the name Winter and she had obtained the normal-hero evolution. She was always showered with love by Navi, Milo, Sonic, and even Shadow. Sonic and Milo had moved in with Shadow as well. Shadow and Navi couldn't have been happier.
__Shadow loved his new life. He was with the ones he cared about the most. Even if he no longer had his best friend that ensured he continued living, he was happy enough to be with Sonic. The two of them spent almost all their time with each other, and they would continue to do so for all the years to come.