Chapter Eighteen | Somethings Off

Jade's POV:

Thankfully Jacob and Miss Peregrine was okay with me taking two weeks off from peculiar training. But those two weeks seemed to fly by in no time. I was just glad that my friends were being so sweet and kind to me, although sometimes they went a little over the top. "If you need a break, tell him. I'm sure he wouldn't force you to keep going if you're exhausted." Caleb said as we ate a scrumptious breakfast that Trinity made for us all. Cyrus and Dr. Kreizler agreed. I knew they were right. I just felt like I was letting everyone down. "If he does make you keep trying to control that beast even when you're spent, he'll have me to answer to." Stevie said with a hint of anger in his tone. "There's no need for violence, Stevie." Dr. Kreizler said with a look in his eyes that I couldn't decipher. A moment of uncomfortable silence settled down around us before Caleb broke the silence. He said that he and I needed to get going if we wanted to be to my training session in time. I grabbed my backpack and walked towards the front door. I stood there as I waited on Caleb to gather his things.

Jasmine and Elijah came up to me and handed me homemade good luck cards as well as a little bouquet of flowers, which brought a smile to my face. "I grew them myself. I hope you like them." Elijah said with an adorable smile. "They're beautiful, thanks. And I really appreciate the good luck cards; I can use all the luck I can get." I said which seemed to make both of them happy. Dr. Kreizler walked towards us with a small smile on his handsome face. "Go on and play. I'm sure Caleb will be down any minute to take Jade to the modern day." He said sweetly to the two young children. They ran off into the sitting room, leaving the doctor and I alone. I smelled the beautiful flowers as the two of us quietly stood there. "Do you remember what I taught you?" Kreizler asked in a hushed tone. "Yeah, I remember." I replied. "Just think of that if you feel overwhelmed today. All of this hard work will pay off even if doesn't seem like it will." He said as he tucked a stray strand of my hair behind my ear. His thumb barely brushed against my cheek, giving me butterflies. I'm pretty sure I blushed a little too.

He seemed like he was going to say something more, but the sound of Caleb coming downstairs stopped him. "Could you put these in water for me? I know if I take them with me they'll age forward and... well..." I drifted off. I really didn't want to think about what they'd become if they did age forward. "Of course." Dr. Kreizler said as he took the flowers from me. I glanced at the cards before handing them to him as well. We said our goodbyes before Caleb and I left. When I entered the present day I suddenly felt detached and out of place. It didn't even feel like my world anymore even though I've grown up in modern times. I guess 1898 just feels more like home now to me. The two of us got in his car and headed towards Jacob's home. Deep down I had a feeling that Miss Peregrine was going to be there. I wasn't sure why, but I just did. Maybe it was because of the whole break thing. "Hey, are you alright?" Caleb's voice broke through my inner thoughts. "I don't know." I replied, which was the truth. "Listen... I know you feel like you're letting people down, but you aren't." He said.

"I just don't understand why they don't just let Jacob hunt down the escaped hollowgast. He's much more skilled than I am and he's stronger." I said, feeling a little defeated. "Because it's better if there's more than one hollow hunter out here in the peculiar world. We need him to train you so then both of you can go out looking for the escaped hollow." He said and it did make sense. It would be a lot easier for two people working together than just one. But I did think they were putting a lot of effort into training me when they could be out there searching for the traitors. The wights and rouge silver birds members who stole the hollow I helped capture. 'They could be doing all of that already. They have a lot of people working for them.' I thought as the car ride went on. After what felt like forever we made it to our destination. To my relief Miss Peregrine wasn't there when we arrived, and I hoped she wouldn't show up at all during my training session.