Chapter Eight | We're On Our Own

Jade's POV:

Weeks passed and I was starting to lose some of my momentum. After long hot days of studying I'd have to go home to read chapters and chapters out of thick books such as: A Peculiar History, Map of Days, and several others. It really felt like I was back in school. I barely had time for myself. My vacation didn't feel like a vacation anymore. But the worst part is having to hear of more kids disappearing and getting killed. "Did you hear me?" Laszlo's voice took me out of my trance.

I hadn't realized that I zoned out. For the past fifteen minutes I wasn't even listening to what he was saying. "I'm sorry. I... I wasn't paying attention." I replied feeling guilty. He was kind enough to take time to teach me the ways of the peculiar world, and here I am zoning out in the middle of a lesson. "No, don't be. You've been working very hard here and at home. Caleb told me that you've been reading and studying during breakfast every morning." He said and I rubbed my tired eyes. It was like everything had been catching up to me.

"I think we should take a break. Maybe we could go for a walk in Stuyvesant Park; it'll help us both clear our minds." He said with a small, quick smile. I didn't want to stop learning what he was teaching me, but I knew he was right. I needed a break from everything. I haven't really had time to process everything. Things were moving so quickly that it felt like forever since I saw that hollow outside of Delmonico's. Yet sometimes it felt like just yesterday I was in the hospital with my uncle and Caleb by my side. I closed my books and notebook, but I left them where they were.

Dr. Kreizler lead me downstairs. He stepped into the kitchen while I stayed in the hallway. "I told Cyrus that you and were heading to the park." He said, and I nodded to let him know I understood. He was holding a brown wicker basket that I noticed, but didn't ask any questions about. I followed Kreizler through the front door and outside onto the sidewalk. The summer heat hit me like a tone of bricks. Lucky for me, I was wearing light colored clothes. I silently wondered how Dr. Kreizler could handle wearing a full black suit in this heat. But I figured some people in my life would think the same thing about me.

Especially since I wear black shirts and black jeans most of the time all year round in my day to day life. But still... Victorian clothing is made from thicker material. Dust was kicked up from many carriages and motor carriages that were passing us on the street. A bright sun was beating down like every day. Beads of sweat to break out on my brow and I used my sleeve to wipe them away. When we reached the park we walked around for a bit, but eventually he lead me to a large maple tree and opened the wicker basket he had been carrying with him. He retrieved a large medium blue blanket from the basket and spread it out on top of the grass in the shade.

He sat down on the blanket and patted the spot next to him, signaling to that it was okay to sit down. I sat in the refreshing shade of the tree and took my brown overcoat off, leaving me in my shirt sleeves. I noticed Dr. Kreizler study me with his brown eyes, but it didn't make me feel uncomfortable. "Trinity packed us some cold lemonade. She said it's perfect for a hot day like this, and I agree." He said, reaching into the basket once more. He poured us each a glass, and I felt myself relax. I was surprised that there wasn't many people in the park today. But the heat probably kept everyone away. The sound of birds singing distracted me from the thoughts that had been floating around in my head.

"Aren't you sweating in that jacket?" I asked, breaking the silence. "Yes, but..." He trailed off as he glanced at his left arm. "Doctor, I know about your arm. You don't have to hide it from me, it's okay." I said gently, hoping my words wouldn't offend him. He looked at me and blinked a couple of times before he slowly took his jacket off. Then he took his vest off so he too was in his shirt sleeves. After I drank my glass of lemonade, I laid down on my back. The golden sunshine filtering through the canopy of leaves looked beautiful, especially when a light cool breeze rustled them a little.