14: The Water Dancer

The more I thought about our first training session, the more my respect for Hatsuka grew. At first, I had the impression that training me was an inconvenience to him based on some of his mannerisms. But now I knew that was not the case.

If that was the case he would have just picked up the sword and hit me continuously until I picked up a few tricks and be done with it, but he hadn't. He had gone out of his way to come to me early each morning, even after not speaking with me for a few weeks.

He had warned me not to get my hopes up on the training in case it was no use to me in the future, he'd taught me information that I had no idea about and given me the uniform and a personalized sword as a gift. And of course, if he didn't want to do it he could have just said no in the first place.

He may be stern-faced and serious but his actions showed his true colours. He just wasn't the type to show that he cared outwardly. But that whole impression him soon changed for the worse.

As he had promised he had returned the following day and eight o clock, sharp. At first, I was confused to find a huge pile of leather-bound books hovering in my face when I opened the door, then I recognized the auburn hair peeking over the top of the stack.

I rushed him in and helped him around the long corridors to my room before his arms snapped from the strain.

"There. These should have most of the things you need to know" he said, placing the mountain of leather and stitching on my desk. "You're in no rush to give them back either, keep them for as long as you like."

"Thanks a lot, I had no idea how much I didn't know until yesterday"

"Then make studying as big a part of your training as Kendo."

"I plan to. So, what are we doing today?"

"I think first we'll make sure your posture and grip are right and then move you on to some simple steps and movements. Nothing too advanced"

And once again, we spent what felt like hours in 'perfecting my stance'. Finally, when the sky was turning a dusty orange Hatsu announced that I had made a lot of progress but today's session was over.

It continued like this for a few weeks and I began to lose the very little patience I had. I had never had a reason to get mad or impatient before now, so only now was I feeling that horrible sensation of blood rising through my body like steam at boiling point whenever Hatsuka accused me of slacking off or not trying hard enough.

We stood face to face, holding our swords out in front of us gripped tightly in both hands, staring each other down. Sweat was dripping down our backs are foreheads under the intense midday, late spring sun. This was one of those occasionally hot, summery days and I was hating it even after only being outside for ten minutes.

A thin strand of midnight purple hair drooped down into my eye, not being long enough to tie back into the high ponytail that I always wore for practice. I flicked my eyes towards the strand for just a moment a blew it out of my view and Hatsu took that opportunity to strike.

I was shocked by the suddenness of his movement and the speed at which he ran. I barely had time to react, but instinctively slashed down with my sword as if to hit him on the head. This left my upper body self-complaining unprotected and he took the moment to slice down on my right shoulder.

I gave a yell of pain and crumpled to my knees, clutching my throbbing shoulder. Yuu sprang to her feet with a gasp and rushed to me in an instant.

"Kimi!" She called, kneeling at my side and wrapping her arms around me in comfort. "Are you okay?"

I did not answer but inhaled through clenched teeth with my eyes scrunched shut. Yuu pulled the collar of my lilac hakama shirt down to reveal a seething red line reaching down to my collar bone and upper back.