Its Okay

We had been sitting in class, twenty-five minutes until summer vacation. Mr. Langburry had been going on about how we should make sure all our summer assignments were done and turned in on the first day of school. I didn't care, school wasn't something I was good at. I had only just gotten my first B, thanks to Robert. I loved my seat by the window, a place to escape the dread of the classroom. I was as free as a bird, I could sit in my own little world and not have to worry about going home and dealing with them.

"Ms. Tracy. Would you mind telling me what the answer is." He was young, dark brown hair and eyes. He had dimples when he smiled. He was dreamy, the only reason I passed this class. 

"The answer is y over the square root of two divided by eight plus four." I sat back down in my seat, the heat flushed to my face. He smiled and nodded.

"Very good." The bell rang and everyone rushed out, summer was here and there was nothing to ruin it. Except for, "Lauren I need to speak to you."

I sat back down and waited for everyone to leave. My uniform was to small, it was too hot, and I was hungry. "Yes Mr. Langburry." I sat, guilty for a crime I hadn't committed yet.

"Ms. Tracy well it's been a hell of a year and you've been put through all hell. I am proud of you." I smiled, braces and medium brown hair. Olive skin and brown eyes. "So have a great summer and I hope you finally find what you're looking for." He patted me on the shoulder. 

What was I looking for, nothing, couldn't be. I had the best of friends and a great family--well more so a family. I was so looking forward to being with Robert and Cathleane and Jamie my pet chameleon  this summer. 'Lauren what are you looking for, what are you missing?' What did he know, he'd only just gotten married. 

"Well Mr. Langburry, I hope you don't mind if I steal your student. We have to go, there is a BBQ that just can't be missed." He winked at me, his dark brown hair covering his forehead. 

"Not at all." There was a secret bond between the two, something they'd never spoke about out loud. A silent agreement. He smiled and finally summer vacation. 

We walked down the empty hallways, headed towards our lockers. "Ready?" I chippered up and put on my best work attitude. "Good." He smiled, those deep green eyes. They had tints of yellow and dark blue. He was an odd child, but the eyes made him who he was. 

"So?" I stopped, I wanted to ask him to see if Jason had a date. There was the beginning of the summer party, and I wanted to go with him. I looked up, the sun kissed his tall lean frame. He was a swimmer, a boy from water. I never really looked at him or noticed the broadness of his shoulders. 

"So what?" He looked at me with those eyes, like he wanted to ask me if I remembered. I didn't I never did. I wondered where she'd gotten off too, Cathleane was never dependent, but she was my best friend. We went together like two peas in a pod.

"Nothing, just excited." I looked at myself. I thought about it. I was mean, angry, forgetful, athletic, temperamental, wishy-washy, determined. Okay so not good qualities. It was due to The Barner's, my foster family. Since the death of my family Robert and Cathleane had become my alternate one.

"Hey I heard that Jason wanted to ask you to that Summer Fling thing." It was like he didn't care who I was with, or what I did. It was like we were only going to be family, but when it came to Cathleane who she dated was crucial.  

"Oh." Sure Jason was amazing but he didn't get me like Robert. "Well that's nice, but I am not sure if I'm going yet." I had to play it cool, I didn't want to seem too excited. We reached the lockers, to my relief, I didn't thin I could take another minute of that. "Well let's do this thing." It was quiet the only noise was the emptying of our lockers.  It seemed like forever, my stomach broke the silence. 'Great going Lauren.' He smiled and suggested lunch, I couldn't intervene and say no. He closed our lockers and put the trash cans back. He picked me up and so off we went.

==============================================================================

The whole time we were at the diner I sat and talked about how awesome it was going to be to dance with Jason. He smiled on the outside, but I didn't care how he felt on the inside.  "Yes that's great you two are going. Have fun." I stopped drinking my shake.

"You're going!" He shrugged. "Look Adrianna really likes you. Go ask her, she has been making goo-goo eyes at you since we got here." He stood up, his shoulder blades tightened underneath his shirt. I could see the man he was--the man he would be. 

He came back, in a worse off mood. "She said yes?" His arms reached in the middle of the table, I didn't understand the point in his mood but Jason just couldn't be faltered from my mind. I finished my shake and we went back to his house. I hated being home with their noisy kids and rude grandma, and beastly mutt they called a dog. 

We sat and played video games with his little twin brothers Alex and Sammie. They were the best little kids. "We are so owning you!" They were kicking our butts, but it kept the peace behind the upset at the diner. 

I hated life, but for some reason there was a part of it that was missing a part that I didn't know. Little had I known that dance was going to make this:

A summer to remember!!!!!