Innocent

"Please let me go!" I was being pushed into the cop car. The blue and red lights silently whirling around my head. I was blinded by them, but strained to see Cathleane and Robert. Jason was standing there holding that blonde broad. I finally saw how it was going to be. "I'm innocent I swear. I have no clue whats going on." 

They pushed me even harder into the car. I wasn't going to fight back it wouldn't have done any good. We drove into the silent blood filled night air. Between the heart wrenching terror and stares from ongoing neighbors--that would have made for the most exciting first date.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His hands slammed on the table for the third time, frustration was written on his face. Why I had looked at him like a lost puppy was beyond me, but some part of me hoped it would work. "Then why is her blood on your clothing." I twiddled my fingers trying to make words come out. Nothing. 

"Well Mr. Cop, if you must know I already told you what I know. I wake up and am being dragged to a cop car--assuming to be labeled a criminal." I flung my arms up, as far as the hand cuffs would allow me. I had slowly become calm and relaxed. 'Don't fight back, just cooperate. If you know that you're innocent then you gotta remember.'

Those hands should have been red or the table should have been dented, but neither happened. The overhanging light shook in fear of Officer Johnson, I just looked at him. I was irritated, tired, hungry, and without either of my best friends. "Is that all you remember."

I took a long breath, anger only made things worse. His partner, Patty, sat patiently. They played good cop bad cop. "Honestly Mr. Cop, yest that is all I could recollect. And if I did remember anything, you certainly are the person I would not tell." Patty smiled, laughing silently to herself. "I just want to be back home, back to yesterday with Cathleane and Robert."

"Well try harder damnit!!! Or you can go to jail, your choice. You were next to the body, and covered in her blood. Its the only lead I have on this case!!!!" I felt the shutter go down my spine. Helpless, that was all I had been. He was tall, brooding, abusive of his power, power hungry, secret dealer, sneaky an domineering. 

 Patty had to step in before I was strangled and beat to a pulp by a cop. "Hey Johnson cool it. Go get some coffee, I'll see what I can get outta her." She popped her blue smelling gum. Tall and thick, toned arms and threatening hips. She could kill you if she wanted to, that was how I looked at it. She clearly was more dangerous and more likely to do something.

"Officer Patty, I promise on my life I didn't--wouldn't ever hurt her." I hung my head staring at the cold chrome table. My tears hit like silent missiles, flooding a dent where I'm sure Johnson had thrown someones face. "I'm innocent."

"Honey you were tested positive for high concentrates of LSD and other drugs. I'm not sure if you did." She put her coat on my drooped shoulders, and sat across from me, hands delicately placed on mine.

"I told you what I knew, and that is all I still know. I miss Cathleane and Robert even--" Trailing, I always trailed off when it came down to the foster family from hell. I couldn't take their rules, stares, smirks, laughs--just them I couldn't stand them. "At least let me make sure that is Cathleane."

Patty shook her head, I felt the lump grow larger in the back of my throat and it getting drier and drier. "I wish I could but I'm under strict ruling at the moment." I heard heavy footsteps barge down the hallway with a long quick stride at his side.

"But how do you know that it is her? How do you know unless you let me see its her." I felt the edge melt away, pleading was the best thing for me to do, the only way. I remembered when my parents died in the car crash, the officers had been so nice and kind to me. One officer, Virginia wiped all my tears away and told me stories. My best friend, she'd been there and was still there.

"I don't know what is going on. You don't seem like the killer type." Well for one thiing she hd me down to a science. There was something that didn't seem to make sense. A missing peice.

"Honey I wish I could, but truth is they say the body was so badly beaten and scarred over it'd take a while to actually verify who the victim was." That wasn't hopeful for me, if that wasn't Cathleane then who was it and where was she???

I had closed my eyes, maybe in rushed time I'd be able to remember. I thought about it, I was with Cathleane and we were on the couch drinking. Then I woke up.

"I need you to do one thing. Call officer Virginia Wells. Tell her that Lauren Tracy is in need of her help." At the very same time a tall older white male with blotchy and peeling skin accompanied by Johnson stormed in. His thick heavy Texan drawl told me I was going to be going someplace very far. He pulled of his tan cowboy hat and scratched his peeling white scalp.

 "CON----VICT." Had I known I would have never went to that stupid party. He'd called me a convict, holding on to the "n", stretching the "o" making it seem so much longer of a word. Had I known this was my future, I would have never left home.

The clicking of my handcuffs was an unlikely freedom when I had felt the icy cold hit both my wrists. "Please officer Patty I am begging you." I looked up while they dragged me out, my hair flipping over my face and meshing with the tears. "Please."

For the first time she had looked down and averted my eyes completely. The calm and cool had melted to guilt and shame. I wasn't going to give up. Cathleane was alive, somewhere.

'Cathleane I will find you...I promise'