Second Date

North stared blankly into his dresser after kicking Y/N out of the room, holding the doors open.

       "Ssi-bal," he cursed eventually, slamming the wardrobe shut.

       Pulling out his phone, he dialled one of his provinces.

        "South Hamgyong- get up here, now."

________

       Y/N greeted SH as they crossed paths in the stairwell, then continued down to the dining hall.

      She had woken up feeling incredibly anxious. There were many dates that she had been on in the past, but she had never been the one deciding where they went.

       Plus, it was their first date, technically. Well, the first one that didn't involve babysitting drunks and China.

       Y/N nervously picked at her rice and kimchi with her chopsticks, while South Pyongan tossed buttons at Hwang, who was trying to read.

     "Can you just finish sewing?" the male province asked, lifting his face from his book.

      "Reading at the table's rude," South Pyongan said, flicking another button at her cousin. "Besides, I don't need this jacket until winter- I have plenty of time. Are you going to eat that?"

       Y/N realised that the province was talking to her, and shook her head, pushing the bowl towards the Provincehuman.

       "Don't let her bully you into giving her your breakfast, Y/N." Hwang pushed his glasses up on his face. "She eats enough."

       "It's okay," Y/N reassured him. "I'm not that hungry this morning."

         "Yeah," South Pyongan said, around the rice that she was shovelling into her mouth. "Y/N's getting into the Communist spirit- we're sharing."

      "You-" Hwang flicked a button back in his cousin's direction. "-Need to get into the Juche spirit- self-reliance."

    "I self-reliantly asked Y/N for her food."

      The door creaked open as SH and North returned, and South Pyongan started eating faster.

      SH was humming, and skipped towards her cushion, while North was glaring at her.

       They took their seats, and the Countryhuman asked South Pyongan, "Are you eating Y/N's food?"

      "No," the blue province mumbled, finishing the rice.

       North turned his glare on Y/N, who squeaked. "U-Um, n-nooooo?"

       The country rolled his eye, and pushed his bowl towards her. "Take mine."

       "I... think that you should eat," Y/N said hesitantly, but accepted the bowl when the country narrowed his eye at her.

     "Stop begging the others for their portions," North growled at South Pyongan.

       "I can't help it," the province complained, wiping her mouth after finishing her kimchi. "I haven't had meat in so long, I need to make up for it. These muscles don't maintain themselves."

      "We had squid and injo-gogi-bap on Foundation Day," SH noted.

      South Pyongan sighed theatrically. "Real meat."

      With a start, Y/N realised that the sporty Provincehuman was right- it had been a couple of weeks since they had eaten an animal that wasn't fish at a meal. She also realised that they had stopped holding lunches, something that she thought that she would have noticed.